Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Would Not Revive From Standby

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 johndrew

johndrew

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:18 AM

I should say at the start that I use the feature infrequently and haven`t used it for some time but I know it used to work OK. I have also done a search both here and elsewhere but failed to find a fix.

When I select Standby in the usual way the desktop PC closes down telling me it is `Preparing to Standby` and then shutting down. When I revive it by using the keyboard Spacebar about an hour later, as I have done before, the power light goes to solid green (from flashing), the hard drive light comes on and all the usual fan and drive noises occur. However, the screen does not come back (no signal?) and remains blank and the lights on the ADSL modem remain off, additionally there used to be a click from the speakers (presumably as they powered up) this also is missing.

I can only use the `hot restart` button but the PC fires up normally from that.

I ran both CHDSK and sfc /scannow in case it was something there but all appeared fine. I also checked the Power options and my BIOS settings. The BIOS all appear to be those used as default and the Power options are all set at `Never` - `Hibernate` is not checked.

I tried another Standby selection and about five minutes later revived the PC; it worked fine. After a while I then selected Standby again left it for about an hour and attempted to revive it and the original set of faults appeared.

I am running XP Pro SP2 with wired keyboard, mouse and modem, the motherboard is Asus A8n SLI Deluxe with two GeForce 6600 cards in SLI.

I have now exhausted my knowledge of both XP and PCs and really need help. Does anyone have any idea as to what may be causing this problem and what the fix might be?

Thanks in anticipation.

PS.

I should have said that I have been unable to find the file `hiberfil.sys` that MS says should be deleted. When doing a search for it the only reference I can get is in `Windows\system32\usmt\sysfiles` which I believe is a Registry file and should not be deleted.

The only other anomaly I have noted was the left hand lamp on the keyboard (the one that illuminates during normal Windows boot) remained on continually even when HDD activity had ceased. Don`t know if this means anything.

Edited by johndrew, 29 February 2008 - 11:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johndrew

johndrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:55 AM

I have been trawling through a lot of MS Help and Support pages and I found this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815304/.

Given that the second item in `Symptoms` is one that I have do you think it could be the fix? I have requested the `hotfix` from MS on the off chance.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:41 AM

IME the most frequent issue with standby/sleep/hibernation is a corruption of the video drivers. This can usually be cured by:
1) Uninstalling the current video drivers
2) Downloading the latest certified version of your video drivers from the video chipset manufacturer's website
3) Installing the new drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 johndrew

johndrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for that. I shall try the Graphics card drivers; I did update them a few months ago.

As for the hotfix, I got it and applied it. Problem not resolved; still exactly the same symptoms as in my initial post.

#5 johndrew

johndrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:03 PM

usasma you were spot on!!

I rolled back the graphics drivers and the problem looks to be solved. The drivers I updated to a while back were from NVidia and a check indicates there are no new items. I think I shall stick with these until the next update as there seems to be a conflict somewhere.

Many thanks again.

:thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:03 AM

It's not the versioning of the drivers that's the issue here - it's that something has been changed inside the driver that corrupts this function. Driver "fixes" usually take one of these 3 routes (in order of severity, from least to most):

1) Just installing the latest driver over the driver that's currently installed
2) Removing the driver from Control Panel...Add/Remove Programs and uninstalling the device from Device Manager
3) A detailed driver removal using a driver removal tool.

The method to use depends on the depth/extent of the driver corruption. Option 1 above will leave all of your driver settings intact and will just replace the core driver files. Option 2 will remove most of the driver files (and the settings) and should fix most problems. Option 3 is usually reserved for those problems that are very difficult to fix - and hasn't been used very much since nVidia and ATI have cleaned up their uninstallers over the last year or two.

In your case, the roll back took you back to a previous version that was working for you. If you don't experience any further problems, there's usually no need to update drivers (sorta "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.")
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 johndrew

johndrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:29 AM

When updating I have always used the first option with no problems in the past. I must admit that I do read the update information provided and in all cases have made the changes as a result of improvements within the drivers and/or support software. The last change was an improved temperature control function plus some other minor improvements which would not, on their own, have encouraged me to `tamper` with the PC; my expertise in such things is not high - probably advanced learner would describe my ability. This experience is yet another step up the very long ladder of knowledge.

As for the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy, I passed that marker some time back as a result of trying `clever things` published in a PC magazine and getting into a fine old state. That was another step on the ladder I shall never forget!!

I shall bookmark this thread as it may help me or others in the future.

Many thanks for again for your help and the additional information.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users