Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Canon FB630ui scanner

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 8-bit

8-bit

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:05 AM

I have a Canon FB630ui scanner but cant seem to be able to install on my PC. Ive downloaded the drivers from Canon's website site but still no luck. I get the following message when I attempt to install it...

' The class installer has denied the request to install or upgrade this device.'

Is anyone using one of these scanners under XP?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:13 PM

Did you have a previous canon scanner installed on your computer previously? Supposedly this happens when you attempt to install a driver that is older than the one that is currently on there. Is it possible the XP has a built in driver for this?

Have you called canon?

#3 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:11 AM

It was working fine once. I disconnected for some reason a few months back and now Ive reconnected it,its not working.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:43 PM

Uninstall all the drivers you have on your computer for this scanner. Then install it again with the scanner drivers from the cd it came with.

#5 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:06 AM

I tried that and for some reason the pc does'nt seem to like that. I get so far and then it tells me there's been an error in installing and the device wont work properly.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2005 - 02:50 PM

I am stumped...i am not sure what else to have you try

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 19 March 2005 - 05:25 PM

I had a Canon FB630U and since upgrading a tower to include Windows XP Pro (from 98SE) I have not been able to get it to work.
When I plugged in the scanner XP recognised the device and then asked for the driver (which I didn't have as my previous installation was all lost in a crash. It woldn't have been an XP driver anyway).
On the Canon website they only offer a TWAIN driver for XP but on downloading the self installer for this and running it nothing appears to have changed. I'm a bit unsure whether the TWAIN driver is all that's needed to run the scanner anyway? Why don't they provide that handy Canon scangear toolbox for XP?

Can anyone here help clear up my confusion?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:48 PM

Duh! I think I've sorted out my Canon scanner driver confusion.

There were (at least) two problems:

1.Canon confused me by talking about TWAIN drivers for XP whereas they used to say drivers for the Canon xyz are <here>.
If I look in the "TWAIN driver" exe file using WinZip I find it has all the necessary driver files along with the TWAIN dlls and the all important "ScanGear CS-U" which allows the excellent control of scanning options.It also contains a readme file telling me how to install it. :thumbsup:

2.The exe file does NOT install the driver.It just unpacks it and dumps all the files in a folder. You have to go into device manager and update the driver manually, pointing devman at the afforementioned folder.Then it all works.

I had assumed the process was like other USB devices's or application's installation - run the exe and it will start an installation program that will do the job for you. :flowers:

8-bit - unless your CD specifically has Win XP drivers on it they are unlikely to work. The download is the only way to go. Maybe what I've described will help you.

Edited by Rimmer, 19 March 2005 - 10:02 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:52 AM

Have you followed the instructions in the readme and does it work now?

#10 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 06:56 AM

Whoops,silly me. Please feel free to form an orderly queue and take your turn in slapping me for my sillyness.
The drivers I downloaded then double clicked on were'nt actually being installed but being unzipped into the TEMP folder. I had to then manually update the drivers by using those files by pointing the device manager in that direction. *SIGH*

Thanks for all your help though. :thumbsup:

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:09 PM

No biggy!

At least it works and you figured it out yourself!

Great job

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users