Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod: Hardware Or Software Related?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DevonCory

DevonCory

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:53 AM

Hello everyone! New member with an old problem. :thumbsup: BSoD.

For about two months now, I've been having those. Actually it's been happening ever since I installed a new sound card (SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme) and a new graphic card (GeForce 8800GT 512Mo). I've cleaned up my registry as best I could, updated my drivers and spent way too much time looking at Minidump files, too no effect. Recently though, a pattern has appeared which is a little weird and which has me thinking that the problem may not be driver related.

Here's what's happening:
Last weekend I installed an old game for my wife. I did the usual, installing and rebooting and then she started playing. About an hour and 45 minutes later, I get the old BSoD so I let the system reboot and she starts playing again. After another hour and 45 minutes later, the PC gives another BSoD. So out of curiosity, we keep going and everytime, after about an hour and 45 minutes later, the system gives me a BSoD and reboot.

Now considering this strange behavior, and since the analysis of the Minidump files is inconclusive (Trap_Cause_Unknow, Unexpected Interrupt, Unknown Floating Point, Analysis Inconclusive, Blahblahblah...), the origin of these BSoD may be something else.

So...

Hardware
Unless one of the new card is not fonctionning properly, my first hypothesis is that the power supply may not be up for the job of running two new cards on top of what it used to run. The previous sound card was integrated and the old graphic card (a GeForce 7800 GS) may have been less power hungry than the new one. So is it possible that I simply need a stronger power supply? And if so, what kind would I need?

Software
Nothing new has been installed there, but I did start using Clean Boots around the same time. So maybe something is supposed to load on boot, is not because of the clean boot and is causing this problem. It may just be my imagination, but looking at this weird pattern, it's almost like the system is BSoD-ing because its running out of memory or something.

Anyway... time to look around these boards and try to find an answer to all this. But if anyone has a suggestion, let me know.

Thanks

--Dev

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:33 PM

What error messages do you get for the BSOD?

What key errors are reflected in Event Viewer?

If I suspect a hardware problem...I just remove the hardware I have doubts about...and try to run the system without it.

I also try the hardware on that "spare system" I allow myself (I have 2 desktops).

In your case, I would have tried the devices one at a time...both on the problem system and on another system running the same O/S.

If each worked independently of the other, I would then try to get them to play together.

Sometimes...it just doesn't happen.

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:00 PM

Adding to Louis's suggestions, try restoring CleanBoot to it's original configuration
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 DevonCory

DevonCory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

What error messages do you get for the BSOD?

That's actually what's most annoying: I get nothing! ...Well, not exactly nothing but I get a BugCheck 10000012 Trap Cause Unknown. No specific driver or application is identified in the Minidump, except for the process which was running when the system crashed. And the process can be anything: iExplorer, Media Player, Oblivion, Calculator.

Adding to Louis's suggestions, try restoring CleanBoot to it's original configuration

That's probably what I'll do first. Then if it doesn't work, I'll uninstall the sound card. And if it's still not working I'll send it to the Maytag repairman. Not my favorite option, but at least they have the tools and hardware to do the testing I can't do.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:33 AM

Have you used Driver Verifier (verifier.exe) to verify your drivers for a memory leak? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q244617/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users