Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beware Samsung Syncmaster 906bw

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 megalo

megalo

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:11 AM

I've owned the Samsung SyncMaster 906BW for 8 months now, got it in June of last year, and I just recently learned of why I'm having trouble with the monitor.

Newegg link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824001094

Cons: This monitor sends bogus EDID information. It reports it has a resolution of 1280x1024, which it doesn't. This caused me a LOT problems. I had to write my own EDID file to get it to work with the nvidia binary driver for X11. On Windows, it works (after some tinkering), but because the EDID is wrong, the scaling is wrong for games that do not support widescreen resolutions (you can't get the black bars on the side). I sank a lot of time into figuring this problem out. Definitely do NOT buy if you intend to use the nvidia binary driver for X11!

I had this problem. But it wasn't that the EDID info was bogus, it would go back and forth. The first time I connected the monitor it was all wrong with the bogus EDID info. I then disconnected it and reconnected it and it seemed to work. That was until I changed the refresh to 75 on the Nvidia control panel. When I did that It went back to the bogus EDID info. This all happened the day my monitor arrived. It was at least one month maybe two of occasionally looking at the problem, disconnecting the monitor and reconnecting it, updating and reinstalling my video card (8800gts), until, for some reason it switched back to the correct EDID info. Since that day I haven't disconnected my monitor or change its refresh rate (although I've also come to learn that Samsung sets the Refresh rate at 60 for all their LCD monitors), because I'm afraid that it will break again.

Heres a link to other people having this problem and posting on the Nvidia Forums
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=21993

But theres another issue and this one has been present since day one and is still present.

Cons: Colors are absolutely horrible. The RTS feature that is supposed to increase response time and decrease ghosting actually creates a severe ghosting effect.

Other Thoughts: Samsung has been packaging these monitors with different outsourced panels! If you actually get a Samsung panel then its great. S panels are Samsung. A,C, and D panels are junk! The colors are horribly inaccurate. I got a D panel which had a pink tone that could not be fixed by calibration. Also, RTS created insane ghosting problems. I then got the A panel which, once calibrated using a custom profile someone made, is tolerable. RTS works. Don't buy a Samsung. This is just bad business practice. The review sites of course received S panels. By Tye7

I have a D panel and I have the Insane ghosting problems mentioned in the review. I used to play CS:S, Wow, and FEAR quite often, but now I barely ever play them. Just scrolling up and down on the web page as I write this is causing extremely noticeable ghosting on every single object and text on the screen.

Do you think that these are reasons enough to demand a new monitor from Samsung? Even after 8 months?

I think so, and its not like I could have created any of these issues myself in the 8 months I've owned the monitor. I hope that if I can RMA the monitor that I would get an S Panel.

Edited by megalo, 29 February 2008 - 02:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:45 PM

Have you contacted Samsung customer service? That's the first thing to do
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:53 PM

This is one of the reasons we suggest going to a store and actually looking at a monitor, LCD Tv, Or laptop to find one you like. I would also recommend contacting Samsung, I am sure they have a solution for it.

Edit: While looking at a screen you would want to take into consideration it will look different on your system with your video card and your settings. The problems you are experiencing with your particular equipment, someone with a different system may not.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 29 February 2008 - 07:55 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Irmie

Irmie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:29 AM

Have you contacted Samsung customer service? That's the first thing to do

Samsung customer service has some poor young guys who don't know what's going on. When I called the fellow tried to tell me that certain monitors can only support certain cards, or 'there would only be one monitor created in the world'. He quickly changed his tune to say that only certain specs from certain cards can work with certain monitors, but he didn't have a list available of what cards this Samsung monitor supports. I nearly fell off my chair laughing.

After me pushing a bit for him to be reasonable, the customer service rep recommended I send my monitor in for repair, even though he claims there is nothing wrong with it and it's my video card.

Our issue: Samsung Syncmaster 906BW isn't recognized by the pc since putting in the new nvidia 9600 GSO. Plug her in, and...nothing. Since the change, we've plugged the monitor into other pc's and have the same issue. Black screen. Plug the monitor in to a wall (no pc) and you can't even get the menu screen to show up. Just the little blue power light flashing at you as if it's still asleep and refuses to ever wake again. Monitor worked fine for nearly a year with the old nvidia card.

I plugged in my 8 year old 15" ViewSonic and it works fine with the new nvidia card. Plugged in a Dell monitor we have kicking around here, it worked fine with the new card.

Have tried digital and analog cables, tried unplugging it and replugging it in. My techie husband got it working for half a day yesterday, until I powered it off. Couldn't power it back up and have the monitor recognized. Any ideas?

#5 star_topology

star_topology

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:35 AM

Have tried digital and analog cables, tried unplugging it and replugging it in. My techie husband got it working for half a day yesterday, until I powered it off. Couldn't power it back up and have the monitor recognized. Any ideas?

Check the refresh rate of that monitor. I ran into an issue with a flat screen that was using a refresh rate different than what your Display Settings are looking for--they have to match up. Try hooking up one of the old monitors, going into Display Properties and set the refresh rate to the other option (60 or 75hz) then try that monitor.

Edited by star_topology, 03 July 2009 - 09:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users