Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A Computer From Scratch

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NormanXuminZhu

NormanXuminZhu

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:26 AM

If I were to make a computer from scratch, what's a list of things I need, and perhaps suggestions as to what would be a good choice. And also if I were to try to get a lot of processing speed or memory, would these compromise other parts of the computer, if so, what?

Sorry, I'm a completely new at this. Haven't built a computer in my life, but it sounds like it's worth the effort and definitely better than buying one.

Oh, and any extra software/hardware I might need to make the computer functional, not just computer parts, I'd appreciate it if you would list them out, along with suggestions and comments. Thanks!
Word: NormanXuminZhu
Part of speech: Noun
Definition: Magnet for computer problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:22 PM

You Need.

1. Motherboard for either an Intel or AMD processor
2. Processor for said motherboard either Intel or AMD
3. Memory for said motherboard
4. Case to hold the motherboard CPU and Memory
5. Power supply if the case does not include one
6. DVD RW drive
7. Hard Disk Drive (AKA HDD)
8. Video card if your motherboard does not have integrated video or you play on playing games.
9. Operating system Normally Windows either XP or Vista. 64 bit or 32 bit. There is also Linux.

Depending on your budget and brand loyalty Intel is currently top performer in the CPU category so an Intel core 2 duo would be a good choice. AMD processors while slightly slower are MUCH cheaper. Motherboards I usually look for price and options I want and then manufacture ( Newegg.com has a great sort feature). STAY AWAY FROM ECS they are horrible. Memory I usually do the same thing unless you are going to do some serious over clocking pretty much any memory will work good brands include Kingston, Crucial, Patriot, PNY, Corsair. The amount of memory will also depend on what the primary purpose of the computer will be usually 2 gigs is sufficient. Cases is all up to preference if your building an extreme gaming system with multiple video cards you will want one with good cooling (2 120mm fans at least) other than that its looks and price that are the determining factor. Power supply is an important part of the system and depending on the number of drives and the type of video card in the system you will want a good 400-500 watt power supply. Good brands include Cooler master, Antec, Thermaltake, and Rosewill. Hard disk drive you will want to decide on SATA ( a little more expensive but faster) or IDE. Top two and most reccomended brands include Western Digital (AKA WD), and Seagate. Video card It depends on what your building the computer to do. Playing games MMORPG (Mass Multi Online Role Playing Games [Everquest]), FPS (first person shooter [Crysis]) I recommend Nvidia cards. If you just going online and playing browser games (yahoo games) integrated video will work. You operating system will depend greatly on what you intend to do with the computer and will the software or hardware you need to use be compatible with Windows Vista
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users