Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oem Xp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:02 AM

Hi everyone, I want to clear up something so I need your advice. I bought a laptop a couple of years ago and it came with a XP media cd. Which did not have the OS installed, I did all that and registered it with Microsoft over the phone. Now the screen is damaged and I want to buy a second hand lappy and install this Media Centre cd.
Q1:If I use a part out of the old lappy can I use the XP media cd?
Q2: Will the XP cd work ih the new lappy? or only for the old one?

Thanks, Monty007
MCP
MSDST

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:54 AM

Is it an OEM license? I would guess that it is, but I don't have Media Center.

As for whether it will work on a new laptop...I can only say that I think your chances would be better if it were a desktop.

Bottom line: You lose nothing and gain valuable information...if you try it and talk to the personnel responsible for activation. They can give you a definitive answer in a few seconds.

Louis

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:43 AM

I purchased XP Pro OEM for my old computer. When I built my new one I removed it from the old one, replaced it with 98SE, and installed the XP Pro on the new computer. Have had no problems, even called Micro$oft once when I could not activate due to a reformat and no problems. I say give a shot.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:43 PM

Thanks guys, thats what I thought. I will see what happens and have nothin to loose.
MCP
MSDST

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:36 PM

Microsoft will work with you...

As stated above, just call if you have problems, telling them what happened, and they will straighten things out.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

:trumpet:

Microsoft will work with you...

:thumbsup:

Wha wha wha what??? Are you referring to the same Microsoft that is connected to Mr. Bill Gates???

Wow, that has not been my experience, but I am glad they have worked with you in the past. :flowers:
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:18 AM

Microsoft's Activation call center is pretty helpful. I use it on a regular basis at work. They have a certain set of rules to go by - but as long as you answer their questions correctly they'll assist you in reactivating your system with little or no hassle.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:46 PM

Microsoft's Activation call center is pretty helpful. I use it on a regular basis at work. They have a certain set of rules to go by - but as long as you answer their questions correctly they'll assist you in reactivating your system with little or no hassle.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users