Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NormanXuminZhu

NormanXuminZhu

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:55 AM

I've recently had a problem with logging in, it gives me an error that says something along the lines of it being unable to accurately confirm my windows XP activation key along with the error code "0x8007007e".
I can still log in if I use Safe Mode. Unfortunately, using the Safe Mode with Networking doesn't work, so that compounds the problems.
I encountered this problem soon after attempting to install an MMORPG called DOMO. After running the setup, which froze about halfway, I rebooted my computer and was unable to log in. I deleted the setup and what files were installed during the installation, but the problem is still appearing.
I've run Ad-aware to scan my computer as well as RegistryBooster to scan my registry, though both detected some problems, neither seemed to find the problem that prevented me from logging in.
Also, I'd prefer it if you had a solution that didn't involve using the Windows XP Professional CD, because I can't seem to find that at the moment... If I could simply run the system restore to the previous month(which it won't let me because, as the title states, it won't scroll to the previous month when I press the arrow button), I could probably solve this problem.

Please respond quickly, thanks!

Edit: Solving either problem is fine, as I need to run a System Restore to solve the first, but if you could solve the first without doing that, that's just as well.

Edited by NormanXuminZhu, 29 February 2008 - 01:02 AM.

Word: NormanXuminZhu
Part of speech: Noun
Definition: Magnet for computer problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:41 AM

I have a hunch on what your system restore problem could be.

Your computer (by default) usually allocates 12% of C: drive for restore.
Once this 12% (or less depending on if you have changed this) is full it over writes old restore points.
So, lots of restore points may have been created this month.
Try rolling back to the oldest possible one.

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#3 NormanXuminZhu

NormanXuminZhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:55 AM

No... I don't have ANY restore points this month, and only two last month(that was before it started preventing me from scrolling back to restore).
Word: NormanXuminZhu
Part of speech: Noun
Definition: Magnet for computer problems.

#4 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:40 AM

Has system restore been disabled at any time to your knowledge?

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#5 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:15 AM

System Restore "restore"points are missing or deleted
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q301224/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users