Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My "dream Computer" Idea.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:49 AM

Hello Everyone!

I have a new computer,but I have an idea for a "dream computer" that I would love to have, if I could build one from scratch and had the money to do so. So Here is my dream computer idea and then what I would like to use it for if I could.

To start off with I would like a tower style computer case. No specific brand name as of yet. No idea as for the motherboard,powersupply,and cooling fan. I want a very very fast CPU computer. With TONS of memory. Two hard drives, I am not to familiar with all of the brand names. But I have heard of Seagate. I would also like an Excellecnt quality Sound card and Video card. I do like intel processors either a Dual core or Quad core. I want external speakers with surround sound. I would also like a flat screen digital monitor about 19"- 21" or slightly larger. 2 high quality CD/DVD reader/writers. Internal send recieve fax modem. 2-4 USB ports, Headphone jack, microphone jack,2 Extra drive bays.

Now as for what I would like to use this, uh um ah, monster speed demon of a computer for? Well, lets just say a little bit of everything. Ranging from Music recording, Video gaming, computer aided draftng, storing recipes, and other computer related stuff.

Now what would be your recommendations or your ideas for me to go with for my "dream computer"? As in brand names or even components that I may have forgoten about.

You can also name some of your favorite brand names for certain components.

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Matthew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:52 PM

Hello Everyone!

I do not know if I am cunfusing you or not. But what I am looking for is: Does anyone have any recommendations regarding, the components, such as: manufacturer, make,model, etc... Also, what you would suggest, to me that I would maybe look to include in my "dream computer" regarding components or software to include for the "dream computer" of mine. What recommendations as to what the memory,speed,hard drive capacity,etc.... should be. Also anything that I may have overlooked, that you think might be important or needed or would be a "like to have" for a dream computer. Let me know.

I am just getting Ideas for my "dream computer".

Edit: As of right now, there is no price range I am considering. That is why I am calling it my "dream computer". That way, if I had the money and I could build what ever I wanted, It would be my "dream computer". I am calling it a "monster speed demon" of a computer.

I know a little about computers, But not all the technical terms and I am not very familiar with all the manufacturers of the components. It has been a very long time since I read a magazine about computers. And back then The fastest computer was about not even close to what they are today. It was about 15-20 years ago,when I last read a computer related magazine.

Edited by Groffeaston, 04 March 2008 - 10:31 PM.

#3 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:26 AM

Can you give us a price range?

Here's one that I've been looking at, although its got a monitor, which I'm not sure if you need/want. Also, I was at latest planning to just get 1 8800GT, and not 2 9600GTs, along with a better power supply.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishLi...tNumber=5694025

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:09 AM

Well, heres a build I have been working on its going to be using the same purpose as yours.

Antec 900 Gaming case: $109.99

MSI P7N Diamond LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard with SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme Audio : $299.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor: $274.49

BFG Tech BFGE88512GTOC2E GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card: $294.99

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory : $89.99 EA (x2)

ASUS Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 14X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe : $39.99 EA (x2)

HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 HDS721010KLA330 (0A34915) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive : $ 304.99 EA (x2)

Thermaltake Purepower RX W0144RU ATX12V / EPS12V 600W Power Supply 115/230 V CE, FCC, UL, CUL, TUV, and BSMI certification: $124.99

SAMSUNG 2220WM Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 Built in Speakers: $259.99

eDimensional Audio FX 3.5mm/ USB Connector Circumaural Force Feedback Gaming Headset : $34.99

Logitech G15 2-Tone 104 Normal Keys 29 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard: $89.99

GEAR HEAD LM8000WR Black 5 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB RF Wireless Laser 1600 dpi Rechargeable Mouse: $24.99

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD: $189.99

I don't know what your exact price range is, but thats all quoted from newegg.

But It depends on what you want in your computer. Thier are certain factors you must look for when building. For example, pick out the motherboard FIRST! I find this the easiest, that way you are limited to what hard ware componenets you can use and your not trying to look around after all the components have been picked out for a motherboard that is compatible with your; case, processor, ram, SATA/IDE Drives.

Then you might want a case, just pick out any of them, make sure the case is compatible with your motheboards form factor, EG, ATX motherboard in an ATX compatible case.

Pick out memory next, keep an eye on your motheboard, its only compatible with certain types, make sure your motherboard can support as much memory as you picked out.

Processors agian, keep an eye on your motherboard, only compatible with certain socket types. Quick tip: Duo core is 2 cores at the clock rate specified (EG: 3.0Ghz) Quad is 4 cores, but quad can easily run you about $1,000 At the moment, so I'd stick with a duo core, its still nice and powerful.

Harddrives! Check your motherboard agian... Make sure it has the IDE/SATA channels you need for your drives.

Video/sound cards. Check your motherboard again, usally a PCI-E Slot for video cards and a regular PCI for sound cards.

ODD(Cd drives) Just check your motherboard and makesure ti has the IDE/SATA channels for it.

Operating system, Don't have to check your motherboard for this one. Get what you want! I recomend Windows XP Professional 64bit Yes, Im getting vista becuase I already have that copy of windows and Im gunna have a dual boot, lets hope Windows can do Vista right!

NOW! After all that you need to look at powersupplies. http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html Use that to calculate how much Wattage you will need in a PSU. Also! One last time... check your motherboard, make sure it has the right connectors EG; Use a powersupply with a 20+4 pin on a Motherboard that takes a 20+4 connectors. And make sure you have enough connectors for your CD drives, Hard drives and such.

Thats my little guide for you. Hope it helps =)

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 04 March 2008 - 08:23 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users