Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Redirects To X-max.net

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jr Justice

Jr Justice

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:01 AM

everytime i click a link on google or any other search engine it redirects me to x-max.net and its very annoying can anyone tell me what to do to put a stop to this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,934 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:36 PM

Have you performed any Online Virus Scans?

What OS (Win XP, XP SP1, XP SP2/2000, etc) are you using? What type of anti-virus are you using? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans? Have you tried doing your scans in "Safe Mode"? Are you doing scans while logged into the "Administrator Account" or an "account with administrator privileges"?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Maya01

Maya01

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:35 PM

---------------------------------------------------------

Hi, my daughter´s computer has a similar problem and everytime we open IE7 or Firefox something types in the line above - som-e---------times when we start typing and sometimes before we get a chance. It´s doing it now as you can see where I´ve written "something"

Running Windows XP with SP2

New PC only purchased at Christmas. I don´t know anything about it´s make or hard drive, etc so can´t give any further information about it but it was brand new.

I´ve tried turning off system restore. We´ve run AVG, Spybot, Spyware Doctor, Trend Micro Housecall, Windows Defender and Superanti spyware and although some cookies were found and deleted there was nothing else but the problem is still happening although at the moment it seems to be letting me type without interuptions, except the 2 incidents above.

I´ve also tried starting in SafeMode by pressing F8 but it doesn´t happen - I´ve tried several times now but it still starts up as normal. Is there an alternative to F8?

Has anyone any idea what the ------------------------------------dashes problem could be and how to solve it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.- -(spoke to soon on it letting me type uninterupted - all the dashes in this message were caused by something and not typed in.

Many thanks
Maya

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,934 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:49 PM

Welcome to BC Maya01

If you have an issue or problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic. Doing that will help to avoid the confusion that often occurs when trying to help two or more people in the same thread with different problems. Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. you are using and the presence of other malware. Further, posting for assistance in someone else's topic is not considered proper forum etiquette.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Maya01

Maya01

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:55 PM

Oops, sorry about that. I´ll start a new topic.

Thank you for taking the time to point me in the right direction, most appreciated.

Maya

#6 nigelbourne

nigelbourne

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:36 AM

Following a SCIT attack (Virusheat 4.3) I discovered the same effect - IE was compromised and redirecting from searches to Xmax.net. Note that "open in a new window" is a QD workround till you can defeat this. Kaspersky 7 performed the following action on reboot

deleted: adware not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.E404.j File: C:\PROGRAM FILES\HELPER\1204373928.DLL//PE_Patch.UPX//UPX

and since then, I have had no propblems.

HTH

NB

#7 acebrandt

acebrandt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:30 AM

"Following a SCIT attack (Virusheat 4.3) I discovered the same effect - IE was compromised and redirecting from searches to Xmax.net. Note that "open in a new window" is a QD workround till you can defeat this. Kaspersky 7 performed the following action on reboot

deleted: adware not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.E404.j File: C:\PROGRAM FILES\HELPER\1204373928.DLL//PE_Patch.UPX//UPX

and since then, I have had no propblems.

HTH

NB "

I had a similiar problem and saw the above fix. I found the "Helper Folder" and renamed the only dll file there. I haven't had a problem since. Now, I spent most of the day trying and deleting things like "adware" items in my registry, so it could be a combination of things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users