Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My C: Drive Is Full....what Do I Do?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 luceluce

luceluce

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:15 PM

:thumbsup: and not a literate user...

ok, i've probably installed something incorrectly on my year old laptop...hp centrino duo running xp. my c: drive is full and my d: drive is empty. my husband tells me that my pictures and music and documents should be on d: drive, but they aren't and we don't know how to change the location of my docs, etc. will i screw things up if i drag and drop and how do i make things go to the right place in the future if there is a fix for this very full drive?

i recognized that there is a problem because my laptop is running hot and i can't defrag the drive as i only have 4% free space...so...anyone have any ideas? thanks so much in advance! luce

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:42 AM

I think your husband is right :thumbsup:.

Drag and drop...cut and paste...whatever method you choose...will work for moving files between partitions.

Do you have two separate drives...or two partitions on the same drive? Only reason I ask is that two partitions on one drive is slower in moving, IME.

IMO, the C: drive should only contain a minimum of data files, if any. Windows and programs installed should be on the C: drive just for the sake of expediency, although some choose to install programs on a different partition.

Just make sure that you can see this D: partition in both My Computer and Disk Management and that it's either FAT32 or NTFS file system.

You should probably also run Disk Cleanup to get rid of unwanted trash on the C: drive.

Louis

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:01 PM

It sounds like it's already pretty close to crashing, try to browse around and delete any data files that are useless first, make sure you keep the trash emptied.

You might delete some old restore points first.

Moving files from one partition to another one on the same hard drive is a pretty intensive and slow operation, start in small batches, not large ones.

You might want to backup some of the data to cd or usb drive

I wonder if disk cleanup would even start? might crash just trying to look at the drive
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users