Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Free Registry Cleaner?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gneb

gneb

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:10 PM

do u guys know any free registry cleaner i can download? i actually tried some already from the internet but those are just "free scan." i was hoping to remove the errors, not just know that my computer has registry errors. thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:43 AM

At Bleeping Computer registry cleaners are not recommended or condoned in any way, shape or form.

Why? Because they can really harm your computer if you don't know what you're doing. And even if you do know what you're doing theres the slight chance something might go wrong.
Trust me, not worth using reg cleaners :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:28 AM

Also, registry cleaners DO NOT speed up your computer in anyway. The chance of them damaging your system is there, as Teenage.Zombie has said.

However, if you are looking for other ways to clean up your computer, you can try removing programs you don't use, deleting unwanted files, keeping your PC free from Malware, defragmenting you drives often etc.

Edited by usasma, 01 March 2008 - 08:25 AM.
Cleaned up tags

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:30 AM

Oh and also, usually online registry scans will say that you have errors even when you may not. This is so that you pay them for the program (which you don't need) and therefore, they make money. :thumbsup:

#5 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:33 AM

Oh and also, usually online registry scans will say that you have errors even when you may not. This is so that you pay them for the program (which you don't need) and therefore, they make money. :thumbsup:

And most probably gain more problems than you started with.

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:47 AM

I know that Reg Cleaners are and can be risky,but how else does one get rid of the thousands of useless Registry Keys that accumulates?Are they a problem to be left in the Registry?

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:50 AM

Yes that is a good question DSTM that I myself would like to know. :thumbsup:

Just to gneb, we are not telling you off about this, we are just making sure that you are not putting your system in any of harms way, thats all! :flowers:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:12 PM

The major reasons (IMO) for discouraging users from using registry cleaners:

a. Users usually don't bother to familiarize themselves with a complex program (they don't RTFM) and want someone to blame when they sabotage their own systems.

b. Various programs which claim to be registry cleaners...well, they don't really inform users about changes and the why...and items which are vital to Windows performing properly...may be deleted because of "cleaner" inaccuracies, much in the same manner that many a user decides to clean house on the system (e.g., eliminate duplicate files) and don't realize that multiple copies of a given file may be required for the system and installed programs to function effectively.

A program looks in a given location for a file. If that file is not in that location, a program doesn't do a search of the system for duplicates which might be installed...it just malperforms.

c. If users really want to edit the registry, they can always use the XP tool...after familiarizing themselves with what the registry is, how it's set up, etc. They also always need to be aware that playing in the registry can stop the system from booting or performing in an optimum manner.

The analogy I think of: I don't ask my 8-year-old son to fix automotive problems...I don't try to repair my auto myself because I don't have the proper tools for most things...and I don't have the knowledge. I can read a Chilton's, but that won't make me any more capable.

Having said all that...I use a tool which some consider to be a registry editor, but it's much more complex than that. I use this tool because I did all my homework first and I know how to edit manually (using regedit) and I can stand the pain if I bork my systems. For me, there are situations where the tool facilitates removal of many registry items that I know serve no purpose on my system..and I check every listed item before I make any changes.

I had a system of some sort for 5 full years before I even began to think that I was capable of learning/understanding anything about the registry. For those five years, I would just ignore the suggested fixes for many things...if it involved a reg edit. I'm more comfortable with systems, the registry, etc. now...but I'm always prepared to admit when I make a mistake...and I can undo the damage I do (if I should do any).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 February 2008 - 12:12 PM.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:07 PM

From a very respected contributor at Windows BBS
http://www.windowsbbs.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users