Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Lan Connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shiftplusone

shiftplusone

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:05 PM

Okay, I have an ethernet cable that runs to my computer, through my house and all that, and I've tested it on 2 different laptops, and it works, but the problem is that my DESKTOP doesn't even have an option to connect with a Local Area Connection, like I have on my other computers. The wireless option is there, because I have a card, but I just recently moved my computer and is now too far to get decent reception, and I just plain hate wireless because it's so unreliable.
I've tried using "create a new connection" and all that junk, I've created new partitions and installed my other XP's, I've installed all the (seemingly) right drivers, but nothing is working. I've spent the past week with no internet, trying to fix that, and it's very difficult being a student and not having internet haha

I have an EPoX 9NPAJ SLI if that means anything, or if anyone knows of some weird third-party way to create a LAN connection to get to my router, that'd be a awesome. I have a DLINK-524, also.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:08 PM

I would have suggested the drivers, since I think that may have been my problem at one time.

Do you have any encyption enabled on the router?

Can you make sure the card didn't get knocked loose while you were moving it or something? If not, you might just have to move it back...

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

Have you looked into a Wireless Range Extender?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:26 PM

EPoX 9NPAJ SLI

LAN:
1Gb Ethernet from onboard Vitesse VSCS8201 Gigabit Ethernet PHY.

turn it on in bios or enable it in device manager

to fix something like this you have to disable all other connection option, firewire, wireless, dialup etc

uninstall the ethernet from device manager and reboot

check the computer on a short cable closer to make sure the longer cable isn't bad

Edited by DaChew, 28 February 2008 - 10:29 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:31 PM

aol dialer will kill you also
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users