Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Shuts Off Booting Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fred91

Fred91

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:10 PM

I built a new computer (my 2nd) and am trying to boot from the XP Professional disk and after about 2 minutes - the computer shuts off. When I turn the computer back on - it goes off again faster and faster. I have tried changing power supplies - but it keeps happening. I have a 500w power supply - an Intel Core 2 2.66 chip - a Gigabyte S series MB and a 500 GB sata hard drive. Everything appears to be connected right...HELP !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:25 PM

If you mean that you are trying to install XP on a new system...the best suggestion I can give is...just go back and start from the beginning on the connections because something is not right.

If you are saying that you can actually get a POST and get into the BIOS...and boot from the optical drive...but XP cannot load from the CD to memory...maybe you need to take a look at your memory.

At what point in the install process...does the system give up? Two minutes doesn't tell any of us very much, other than I think it takes about 5 min for XP to read from the CD to memory.

Louis

#3 Fred91

Fred91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:00 AM

It gets past the first few "blue screens" in the install - it gets past the bios screen and then the whole system shuts down. When I hit the power button again - it shuts down much quicker than the time before and then after a few more times turning it on - it shuts down in 3-5 seconds. If I leave it alone for about half an hour and then try again it again - it runs for about 2-3 minutes again - gets through the first few install screens and then it shuts down again. I reinstalled my memory and checked all plugs numerous times...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:47 AM

Sounds to me like overheating, new system or not.

Have you checked to see that all fans are running properly?

Does your attempted install actually copy any files to memory and then the hard drive?

No error messages of any sort, no explanation for the shutdown?

You've tried both PSes on a different computer?

You've removed the memory and put it back?

You've verified that all connections...are proper?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 February 2008 - 11:50 AM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:12 PM

Did you remember the thermal compound? If you used a thermal pad, did you take the paper off of it?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Fred91

Fred91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:51 PM

Sounds to me like overheating, new system or not.

Have you checked to see that all fans are running properly? Yes - they are.

Does your attempted install actually copy any files to memory and then the hard drive? Don't know - hwo can you tell ?

No error messages of any sort, no explanation for the shutdown? No

You've tried both PSes on a different computer? No- haven't had tim eyet - but could BOTH PSes be bad ?

You've removed the memory and put it back? Yes

You've verified that all connections...are proper? Yes

Louis

#7 Fred91

Fred91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:52 PM

I didn't use thermal compound - I read that if you use the CPU cooler that came with the chip - you don't need to...I didn't on my last build.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:34 PM

If you are trying to install Windows...certain steps take place once the CD is accessed.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Louis

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:11 PM

I didn't use thermal compound - I read that if you use the CPU cooler that came with the chip - you don't need to...I didn't on my last build.

Don't know where you heard that but I would say that's bad information
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_grease
As far as your other computer, consider yourself lucky. Maybe go buy a lottery ticket

Edited by garmanma, 29 February 2008 - 06:15 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users