Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Of Death

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oschmitt

oschmitt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

I have been a windows user since my intro to computers and I built a system about a yr ago with 2 300 gig hd's. I have XP pro on my #1 drive and recently did a trial with vista on the #2 drive both sata. I came across freespire and had always heard good things about Linux but had always been leary of going away from what i was familiar with in windows. I'd always been able to choose which OS i wanted to boot up in BIOS. Anyway, I formatted the drive that i had vista installed on by using the format option when right clicking on that drive in my computer. And without much research I burned a copy of the freespire iso and installed it on the #2 drive. My first problem came about when I couldn't boot to the XP OS any longer. Grub was defaulting to the freespire. In a near panic I decided to format the #2 drive again and see if I could then boot up XP
This didn't work either, as grub remained embedded in the system and all I could get was a black screen of columns of "grub". I then went googling for an answer and came up with the Gparted boot program. After running the gparted live cd I was still unable to boot into XP and continued to get the black screen of grub. In my desperation I decided to format drive #1 and reinstall XP. I got near the end of the reinstall of XP and when it did the final restart before completing that's when I got the first Stop error screen. After a couple times of trying to repair the installation, i've given up and I am close to removing the hard drives and working on them with a 10lb sledgehammer. I'll now post the Stop error message.

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption. and then restart your computer.
Technical information:
*** Stop 0X0000007B (0XF78A2524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:19 PM

LOL, I know it's not funny to you, but I liked the part about the sledgehammer...I understand that feeling :thumbsup:.

My first impression...you've done so much that I have no clue how to undo...that I would simply say...strart over.

I would delete every partition on the hard drive, write off whatever is installed if I had no backups (I keep backups)...and just take a second or two to figure out what I wanted to do and in what order.

You seem to be reactive when you should be planning before acting.

And...before I installed any sort of multi-boot, I would read up on the best way to do it, the order, etc.

Then I would do it, slowly, with ease, because I don't like mysteries on my systems when I'm trying to get them to function.

My best guess would be that your actions have somehow hosed various partitions, which is why I recommend treating them like trash.

But, I don't know.

In any case, there are lessons to be learned from this, I think.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

I don't know if you've dealt with STOP errors before...but they are just technical ways of saying "I've had enough!" The procedures for troubleshooting are further proof of that.

I think you are way past the point of trying to repair a Windows install, you just need to write it off as a learning experience and start over.
By the time you tried to check the various things that are on the troubleshooting procedure, you could easily have just started with a clean slate, did all the right things (AV, malware defense, firewall, backups) and been ready for the next "oops".

Others will different opinions.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 February 2008 - 08:20 PM.

#3 oschmitt

oschmitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for replying and your suggestions Louis. You are right , I didn't plan that out ahead of time.
From what i've learned I shouldn't have installed freespire to an ntfs system for starters.

I actually did wipe out all the partitions and reformatted both drives before I tried the new install of XP. I will definitely try and be better prepared the next time, if I can get through this. I should have realized a long time ago that there's a better way than learning from my mistakes lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users