Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Memory, No Video Input?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 j54ams

j54ams

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

I installed a new memory module on a relatives desktop and after restarting, got a No Video Input message on the monitor. I then took the new module out and replaced it with the original one and it worked OK. Does that mean the memory stick was bad or not compatible? It was stated as being compatible for her model.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:35 PM

It might be a defective stick. I remember while playing 3d games, I would randomly lose display to the monitor until I restarted the computer. It turn out the new ram I put in it was faulty. If you can't try it in another computer, I would see if you could just return it. There are tests you can do to test the memory, but obviously you can't do them if you can't see anything. So this makes it even more difficult to solve.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:36 PM

All memory is not the same.

I cannot just go out and get a module of either low-density or high-density PC3200 for my system and expect it to work. It may, it may not.

Too many people don't realize that there are differences above and beyond just the type.

FWIW: I experienced this very same thing yesterday, with a new motherboard/CPU that I had sitting around for about 8 months (I'm seldom in a hurry). All fans, drives, everything works...but the monitor says "video cable unplugged?"

After trying a couple of other vid cards, I reasoned that it's the memory that I was trying to use from another system. I'll buy some this weekend that ought to do the job. If not, I'll have spares :thumbsup:.

PS: The RAM I tried is now back in the system I am using.

Louis

#4 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:40 PM

So, the memory stick may be good, just not with this PC?

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:20 PM

sometimes the bios is set wrong, some older computer running sdr pc100 ram would have it set for cas 2, replacement pc133 would run at pc100 speed but not at cas 2

same story with ddr ram, I got some junk ultra 512MB sticks pc3200/400 cas 3 ram that would not run at cas 2.5 at 2700/333

I always check the cas levels of the old and new ram and check bios and adjust before putting new memory in

Edited by DaChew, 28 February 2008 - 09:23 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:23 PM

The voltages is something you should look into too. Most of the ram thats not the extremely expensive overclocker stuff, should have the right voltage though.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:26 PM

good point sterling

don't use 2.2 volt ddr2 in anything but deluxe overclockers motherboards
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users