Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Code 41


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Moki

Moki

  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:07 PM

Hello! This is my first time to post, hope someone can help me!! My Memorex DVD+R 16X player just quit working. Device manager says "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)" I've tried removing upper/lower entries in the registry, removed all traces of Itunes, my new (about 3 weeks ago) HP C5240 photosmart printer, searched for anything Roxio, checked all my cables, made sure that it's set at Master, and now I'm stuck.

The player has power, just nothing happens when I put in a CD. Before this happened, I did get some message about it needing a new codec, but I haven't seen that message (of course) since the whole thing just quit.

I can't resinstall or search a disk for updated drivers, since I can't use the installation disc. I tried to see if there were some newer version online, but was unable to locate anything at all.

My player has been working just fine, I don't use it all that much. The only thing I can think of is there is some remnant of software from one of those three apps that I deleted, or I do remember deleting a bunch of Nero stuff awhile back, since I don't use Nero.

Please, any ideas and what to do now? Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

    Network Engineer


  • BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:51 PM

Does the drive show up correctly in the device manager?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +


#3 Moki

Moki
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:45 AM

Hi, SneakyCyber:

The device manager is where the error message showed up for the DVD player :thumbsup:

But, good news! I actually fixed the problem since I posted, so I wanted to let you know what I did. It was the upper and lower registry entries afterall, which I discovered on a whim by going to the Nero website and finding "Trial Version 8" for Nero. I had already deleted the filters in the registry, but there must have been something else there, even though I repeatedly (4 or 5 times) checked the registry and couldn't find anything left. Anyway, after trying all the "fixes" I could find on the internet, I installed the new Nero software, hoping it might do the trick. During the install, a dialog box came up and said that the upper/lower filters were corrupted but it had fixed them. Once I restarted the system, my DVD player was rarin' to go! I will uninstall the trial version of Nero and reinstall the original version that came with the DVD player now that my DVD is working (and I won't be deleting any "stray" Nero files anymore) but I copied my install CD to my hard drive this time, in case the DVD player goes kaput again.

Just for posterity, here's what I had tried before I found my "solution:"

1. Deleted upper filters in the registry (there were no lowers).
2. I uninstalled then deleted all (checking hidden, too) Itunes, Quicktime files, all HP (for my printer) files, checked for any Roxio files (none). (These were all referenced on various sites as software that is known to cause registry errors, usually once they've been uninstalled, but other times by just being there) Restarted. Still doesn't work.
3. Checked in the bios, it's there just fine.
4. Restored to a couple of different dates, (but it finished by saying it could not restore).
5. Uninstalled the device, turned off the computer, disconnected the power, ide, & cable to graphics card. Turned back on. Turned off again, reconnected everything, turned back on, it told me I had a new device, but turned up with same message.

My next step was going to be to start up in Safe Mode, and then try to do another system restore. This probably would have worked also, as long as I went back to a date before I deleted my apparently critical Nero files. But installing another version of my original software did the trick, and I actually preferred this solution over restoring. Hope this will help someone else if they run into the same problem. Thanks for allowing me to post!

Edited by Moki, 01 March 2008 - 01:46 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users