Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help to revive a comp.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 justy

justy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 14 March 2005 - 06:47 AM

Well, I need to get another comp up and running. But it has an icky problem.

If the CD-ROM is plugged in, then when it starts up, it searches for SCSI devices for 3 minutes or so (doesn't find any). Then it asks if i want to press F1 and continue, or press F2 to go to setup. So the Windows 98SE CD is in the ROM and the boot disk is also. So i press F1. Then i get the option to start windows with cd-rom support, I choose that. Then it uses the boot disk to get the cd-rom up n running, but fails :flowers:

And if i choose to start without CD-ROM support, it says that drive C: doesn't have any valid FAT or FAT32 partitions. And then theres a command prompt thingy.

If the CD-ROM is unplugged, it loads the SCSI driver instantly and goes straight to the windows loading screen. There it gets the blue error screen of death and doesn't go further.

So basically, i can't run the comp with the CD-ROM and I cant reinstall windows if i don't have CD support :trumpet:

I tried to plug in another CD-ROM but that comp has some other wires and i cant do that :thumbsup:

So if you have ANY suggestions, Im wide open.

Thanks in advance, ask if anything needs to be cleared up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:42 AM

If I'm understanding this correctly, you've got a computer with a bunch of SCSI drives. What operating system did it have on it before? If it had Win XP or some other NT derivative, it's unlikely that you'll be able to install Win 98 (if that's what you're trying to install) without first re-formatting the partition(s) with an XP disk. If there are no FAT partitions you can't install Win98/ME. And you can't re-format a NTFS partition with a Win 98*Grinler disk, so far as I know.

Your boot disk should be starting the computer, not Windows. And you should choose CD-ROM support. If this computer has SCSI drives, you'll need the SCSI drivers (on a separate floppy) ready to be able to install them when the installation prompts you.

What's confusing me is that you say that Windows is booting up into the BSOD, and that doesn't sound much like Win98. What do you see while it's booting?

Just a caveat: your boot disk should be write-protected, or you might be picking up the same virus that killed the OS. (in the case that's what happened . . .)

#3 justy

justy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2005 - 02:15 PM

So about the SCSI thingy. I actually don't have an idea what they are for. When I got the comp, they were just there and i have no drive disk or anything for them.

Before it had windows 98SE, It isnt powerful enough to run 2k or XP.

"What's confusing me is that you say that Windows is booting up into the BSOD, and that doesn't sound much like Win98. What do you see while it's booting?"

So when I choose to just start without cd-rom support, it says that it cant do anything cus there arent any partitons etc. then it says 3 main reasons why that could be and gives a line wich starts with "A:/>" and I called that a command prompt.

What i want to do is just format everything to get a fresh start.

#4 megaman

megaman

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:50 PM

Have u tried disconnecting the CD-ROM and with a (write protected) boot disk attempting an fdisk and format of C drive. Just for info what is drive size and what type of mainboard, CPU and RAM ?
The definition of success is the ability to survive failure !

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 14 March 2005 - 08:41 PM

I tried to plug in another CD-ROM but that comp has some other wires and i cant do that

If you mean all the drive bays and power pigtails are used , maybe you should disconnect something until you get 98 install . If you have a IDE CDrom use it until you are up and running .
When you boot the SCSI card's name and model number should show up . It may prompt you to hit "Ctrl +A" to enter the SCSI BIOS . If you choose this option you can find the make and model of the SCSI card . Go to the internet and download the drivers . Drivers Guide . I know it is new (SCSI) to you , but it is worth learnig about .
If you computer won't support XP or 2K in may have had WinNT 4 .
Post the specs on you computer so we can help .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 justy

justy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2005 - 06:38 AM

To megaman: Ok, that worked. It's formatting c: now.

Its a 350 mgh pentium 2 with 128 ram. Dont really know what mother board n all.

So everything is formated but it acts the same.

Somehwere in this pile there odda be the scsi thingy:
AHA-2940 Ultra/Ultra W at Bus:00h Device:0Dh DGHS04U

Edited by justy, 15 March 2005 - 07:10 AM.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2005 - 07:30 AM

If you don't have a lot of money check out PowerLeap . I have bumped all the family computer's ( the kids , wife's and my computer .) to 1.2 mhz Celeron . It's about $100 plug and play . Then bring your RAM to 512meg . I run XP Pro on my machines . This is not as good as a new machine but you can spread the cost over several month and you only spend about $300 vs $1200 for a budget machine . $100 PowerLeap chipset , $100 512meg RAM , $100 XP Home . If you want to know about your machine go to START>RUN>type in MSINFO32 . This will tell almost everything about your computer . MSINFO32 will take several minutes to collect infomation about your computer before displaying .
FYI the machines I upgraded were all Dell GX1 PII-350 , PII-400 , or PIII-500 . This is not a perfect solution , just a solution I used on a budget .

acklan

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2005 - 08:14 AM

That is a very commpn SCSI card . Window 98 should reconize it . SCSI is like usb. You can dasiy chain several devices on it (up to 15) . You are really only limited by the power supply . You can download the drivers at Adaptec AHA-2940UW driver .

acklan

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:07 AM

If the CD-ROM is plugged in, then when it starts up, it searches for SCSI devices for 3 minutes or so (doesn't find any). Then it asks if i want to press F1 and continue, or press F2 to go to setup.

Press F2 and go into setup (bios) and look for anything that says that a scsi drive is enabled and change it to disabled. If you don't have any scsi drives it should then boot without a problem. If it won't boot then just change it back.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:23 AM

On the back of the CDrom it will have a pin labeled "Ter." or "Terminate" . This has to be covered or the CDrom may not work properly or at all . Do you have other devices on that cable ? If you do and the terminate pin is closed it is at the end of the chain .

acklan

#11 justy

justy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:10 AM

Press F2 and go into setup (bios) and look for anything that says that a scsi drive is enabled and change it to disabled. If you don't have any scsi drives it should then boot without a problem. If it won't boot then just change it back.

Didn't find any options of that kind. But that doesn't really matter now, because it finds it now.

On the back of the CDrom it will have a pin labeled "Ter." or "Terminate" . This has to be covered or the CDrom may not work properly or at all . Do you have other devices on that cable ? If you do and the terminate pin is closed it is at the end of the chain .

Switched it to terminate. Now it found the SCSI thing even when the cd was plugged in. There is the hard drive on the same cable with the cd-rom.

Now it says "Invalid system disk. Please replace disk and press enter ect."
So.. what do I do..?

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:31 AM

Now it says "Invalid system disk. Please replace disk and press enter ect."
So.. what do I do..?

I assume it sees the SCSI CD now ? If so you have a none boot disk in the drive . You need to place a bootcble Windows cd or a utility disk like Digital Dolly to boot the computer . Does the C:\ have an OS ? If not now is the time to boot with an OS CD and install you system.

acklan

#13 justy

justy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:20 PM

Well, my brother helped me with it. Gave some commands to give it etc.
So i manadged to install windows on it ^_^

Thanks for all the help!

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:43 PM

I am glad you got it worked out . Good luck .

acklan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users