Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp Freezes With 2 Ram Chips Installed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 azgrinder

azgrinder

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:56 PM

My computer keeps freezing up when I have both my RAM chips installed. It works fine with one, no matter what slot I put it in. I have tested both chips separately in each slot with no errors with MemTest, but when I run the test with both chips installed I get random Stride6 and Stride38 errors. Not every pass shows errors.

I have restored Windows XP Home Ed. and installed all Microsoft Updates. All the drivers I can find are up to date. I have thoroughly cleaned and lubricated the DIMM slots.

My computer is an Emachines T1150. It can handle up to 512 MB of SDRAM. I have 2 Kingston 256 chips pn# KVR133x64C3Q/256. This is my second set of chips so I'm pretty sure the RAM is not the problem. I used to have two 128MB chips installed and had no problems. I've been using only one 128MB chip over the last year (gave one to a friend) and I am now just using one of my 256MB chips. I really need the extra RAM so any help I can get on resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:11 AM

I would have to suspect an issue with your motherboard. Try resetting your BIOS to default values to see if that helps. Otherwise, you may need to flash the BIOS depending on what's available for your model.

Beyond that, I'd have to suspect a bad mobo (and eMachines had a run of these a while back).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 azgrinder

azgrinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:54 PM

I have suspected motherboard problems but that just doesn't seem right considering it worked flawlessly with two 128MB sticks and I have no problems with my one 256MB chip. I would think that a bad mobo would cause problems with those setups too.

I made some phone calls and apparantely eMachines are picky about what kind of chips the RAM uses, so Kingston is sending me a set of Samsung sticks. I should get them by Monday or Tuesday and will post the results of the RAM exchange.

#4 azgrinder

azgrinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:58 PM

Well.. The new sticks didn't solve the problem, but I did get the comp to work with a 256MB stick and a 128MB stick, together. That was a small improvement... Oh, the BIOS is propietary, so it can't be flashed, replaced... nothing!! Oh well, it's my first comp, giving it to my kids anyway. My new project is a MSI ATX MS-6712 motherboard comp... Moving up in the computer world, at least for me, that is a step up...

Here is what DID work (so far)... I competely dismantled the computer, removing motherboard and all, thouroughly cleaned EVERYTHING, put it back together and IT WORKS WITH MAX RAM!! I've had this comp for 6 years and had never done more than using compressed air to clean it... The stuff I found on that motherboard blows my mind... especially on the back side of it. It'll probably crash after I post this... :thumbsup: (fingers crossed) knowing my luck...

Word of advice... clean your comp... THOUROUGHLY AND PERIODICALLY!!! I learned something from this... hope someone else does to.

I will reply if anything goes wrong...

Any opinions on that MSI board I mentioned above would be appreciated if you are bored and have nothing else to do... Thanks

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

First, congrats on your apparent resolution, LOL. I probably would not have made that connection.

I looked at that MSI board...first thought was "Why a Socket A board in 2008 when socket As are definitely a dead end?" By dead end, I don't mean regarding upgradeability...but regarding finding complements for it. Understand that I reside in the U.S. and availability may be different where you reside.

BTW: This system has a socket A board (ECS L7VMM3) that I have been trying to replace for over a year now. I've bought replacement motherboards (because I want to be able to take advantage of SATA drives without using a controller card) but it seems that this board just keeps going :flowers:.

DDR memory (PC3200) is going cost more than DDR2 and will be slower.

An AGP video card will cost more than a PCI-E card of greater ability (and will be slower, while also having no future usefulness on any other system).

The board won't allow use of SATA hard drives, without adding a SATA controller on one of those 6 PCI slots (costs circa $50).

I like the 6 PCI slots and the 3 DIMMs...and I really like the manual. Much better than some that I have experienced. I don't know if I've ever had a system with 6 PCI slots and if you are running XP, the 3 DIMMs is no big deal. Be sure to note that bit in the manual about support for only 1 PC3200 module.

In short, if you were not me and were a friend...I'd advise you to think about getting something where you get more value for your money.

There are all sorts of motherboard/CPU combinations available that are so much faster than any Athlon XP system (such as this one) and those systems will have more variability than any CPU designed for Athlon XP era.

Although I hang onto systems, I don't encourage others to spend money on things which I won't throw away (because I have it and it works) but would not not buy today if I did not already have it.

I've got 3 motherboards which were purchased with an eye to "retiring" my L7VMM3 and the XP2200 cpu on it. Someday I am going to put one in a case and transfer my "essentials" from one to the other :thumbsup:. It will be a nice backup/emergency system for me.

Louis

#6 azgrinder

azgrinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:37 PM

I hear ya, Louis... I did a search for processors for that thing and, lol, they are hard to come by except ebay. BUT, the computer is free... My brother is giving me his machine since I am having (was) trouble with mine. It will more or less be a toy to learn with. It has all kinds of toys in the BIOS that I have never used before so that will be a learning experience.

I'm used to this eMachines system, where the only thing I can change in the BIOS is the date and time... lol. Here in about 2 years (sooner if I fry that comp), I will build an up to date system. It's a huge upgrade from what I have but I don't plan on dumping any money into it, really.

I read the manual on that thing... 108 pages worth.. it seems pretty neat. I think it is a good comp for me to learn on before I step up to a new machine. I will probably be tweaking the BIOS more than actually using the comp. I think you guys are going to hear a lot from me here in the near future.. lol

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:37 AM

Free is good and it looks like a good motherboard to me :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users