Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using A Hd To Turn It Into An External One

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 joecap1946

joecap1946

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

I have an extra hard drive. It's a Maxtor 160g and I'd like to use it as an External Drive. It's a IDE. Can anyone recommend an enclosure? Is it difficult to convert one. I really no nothing about the conversion, I just learned it could be done.

I really don't understand the concept of making it a Master drive, it was a "Slave".

Finally I wanted it to connect via USB, does it make ant difference what OS I'm using?

It's Vista Premium Home.

As always I thank you in advance.

Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:17 PM

An enclosure is simply a box that your hard drive will fit into. You open the enclosure, hook up the drive to the connections inside, plug it into your USB port.
Nothing difficult about it.

You will need to consider following when purchasing the enclosure:
The physical size of the hard drive that you are planning on using is it a 2.5- or 3.5-inch?
What type of interface does your old hard drive have is it IDE or SATA?
What types of external connectors are available on your computer USB, FireWire, or SATA?
You have to get one that will work with the drive.

Your choice on whether to format it with an operating system.
I use mine strictly for back up purposes, so I can't answer the master/slave question.
You can order them from newegg, tigerdirect, and other places.
Or find a computer shop that sells them. This might be your best option if
unsure about the size and interface. You can take the drive to the shop with you.
Cost-not expensive. Research your options online.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 February 2008 - 04:57 PM.

#3 joecap1946

joecap1946
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:30 PM

An enclosure is simply a box that your hard drive will fit into. You open the enclosure, hook up the drive to the connections inside, plug it into your USB port.
Nothing difficult about it.
Your choice on whether to format it with an operating system.
I use mine strictly for back up purposes.
You can order them from newegg, tigerdirect, and other places.
Or find a computer shop that sells them.
Cost-not expensive. Research your options online.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Do I have to change the settings to "Master" and if so how do I do that. Is that the difficult part?? I just want it for backing up purposes as well.

Joe

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:37 PM

If all you want to do is back up, you don't have to set it to anything. I've edited my previous post-make sure you read it again.
All you do is hook it up to the USB port, let the computer find the new hardware, then you can begin the process of copying files and folders to it.
I recommend copying as opposed to moving. Make sure what you copied is on the external drive,
then you can delete the original files and folders if you want to.
Another thing I do-after I back up to the external drive, I unhook from the USB port. It isn't necessary to keep it plugged in.

#5 joecap1946

joecap1946
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:33 PM

If all you want to do is back up, you don't have to set it to anything. I've edited my previous post-make sure you read it again.
All you do is hook it up to the USB port, let the computer find the new hardware, then you can begin the process of copying files and folders to it.
I recommend copying as opposed to moving. Make sure what you copied is on the external drive,
then you can delete the original files and folders if you want to.
Another thing I do-after I back up to the external drive, I unhook from the USB port. It isn't necessary to keep it plugged in.

Forgive me Queen-Evie I am being naive.

The drive came from a Desktop so I guess it's a 3.5.

I have USB access ports available on the machine I will be backing up.

It is a IDE not a SATA.

If I'm understanding you, there is no need to concern myself if it's a "Master" or "Slave" because all I'm doing is backing up another computer.

The process is taking the drive and connecting it. It should be an easy install into the enclosure.

Sounds like I may even be able to do it.

Many thanks.

:thumbsup:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

The Master/Slave thing is there are a series of pins, :::: , on the back. Depending on which 2 pins that you place a small plastic jumper over will determine it's orientation.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:05 PM

If you buy an enclosure, the directions that come with the enclosure will tell you whether you have to jumper the drive placed inside for Master/Slave/CS.

The enclosures I have had all preferred Slave settings for some reason, but that was a few years ago now.

In any case, they make it clear.

Louis

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:51 PM

Mine didn't have that info. I just put it in the enclosure and hooked it up and it worked.

#9 joecap1946

joecap1946
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:54 PM

Thank you all for your input.

I will keep you posted as to what setting if any I need to use.

You all have given me much needed information about the use, type and operation.

For that I thank you all

Joe

#10 joecap1946

joecap1946
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:43 PM

Thank you all for your input.

I will keep you posted as to what setting if any I need to use.

You all have given me much needed information about the use, type and operation.

For that I thank you all

Joe

Just an update everyone.

I was able to convert my internal HD to an External one.

The enclosure I got made it very easy and the "slave or master" settings never came into play.

Thanks again for all you guys (gals) do for us newbie geeks.

Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users