Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Works

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SeanCDG

SeanCDG

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:53 PM

Hey,

I hope you guys can help!

I have been writing an essay in Microsoft Works Word Processor. It is around 18 pages. I have been working on it for about 3 weeks.

I saved my document the other day, turned of my computer, turned on my computer the other night and received the following message:

works cannot open c:documentsandsettings/documents/itassignment.wps the file may be in use by another application, the file format may not be supported by any of the installed converters, or the file may be corrupt

I am completely confused and don't know how to open this file.

I have also tried opening it up in Word and open office but no luck. Even tried renaming them.

Help!

SeanCDG :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:24 PM

Try running chkdsk on the drive/partition where it's stored...then see if all is well.

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

Follow the instructions for running the Graphical Version, please. Check marks in both options presented.

You might also want to defrag your system.

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:09 PM

If you can locate the file, this download from MS will let you view it if it's not corrupt
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users