Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Question (sale Ends Saturday!)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Big Sven

Big Sven

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:13 PM

Best buy has the low end Western Digital 1TB external MyBook on sale for $230 thru Saturday. It is USB2.

The upgraded MyBook with the Firewire 800 is about $100 more. I don't think my computer even supports that, but am gonna be upgrading in the next year, so it will be an option.

I am adding a young family this year thru marriage and will have tons of video (probably HD) to go along with my LARGE music collection on the external drive. Is the speed difference that great between the 800mbps and 480mbps that it is worth $100? Will I kick myself in the but every time I'm editing videos for being so cheap and not upgrading?

Or do I get the cheap one now and make it a backup for the better one when I get it (cheaper most likely) in 6-12 months?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:40 PM

Well...one thing I learned from my Win 95 days...more hard drives, more partitions, and more RAM...are better than miniscule amounts of RAM, one hard drive and one partition.

So, I would never suggest to anyone to buy a 1TB hard drive...unless he/she had terrific amounts of files to the extent that they needed multiple 1TB hard drives.

The reality is that a hard drive can crap out anytime. If all your eggs are in that basket and it craps out..."boo hoo, what do I do now?" will be the end result.

Not to mention things like doing file transfers on partitions on the same drive...is slower than doing disk-to-disk transfers of files.

I prefer to employ a number of hard drives (3 500GB SATA drives and 4 250GB PATA drives on hand along with a couple with lesser capacities for my 2 systems) rather than use one big drive/partition or one drive with multiple partitions.

I have a ton of .mpg files and several backups which help me to put that space to good use, along with archived .mp3 files and graphics files. I'll have more in the future, I suppose...but I believe 500GB (approx cost of $99 yesterday) is the largest size drive I would suggest for the average user at home (with interests/files similar to mine).

I like splitting/sharing that risk factor.

FWIW: Music files are nowhere near as large as video files. Think video for the largest size files that you will ever have.

And then you decide...

PS: I don't use a USB or firewire connection...I just have a case that's large enough to accommodate the PATA/SATA direct connection drives which I can fit. Connecting directly to the motherboard is much faster than either USB or firewire external connections.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 February 2008 - 03:43 PM.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:59 PM

Here are a couple of links that compare the different systems. It looks like it is very much faster (Firewire 800) but it's hard to say if the extra dollars make it worthwhile. For the average Joe, probably not. But for those impatient or anxious individuals, it might be necessary.

http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/usb20vsfirewire/

Good luck.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users