Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help new computer problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dude21

dude21

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 14 March 2005 - 03:09 AM

OK guys,
I have a problem. I have just bought all parts for my computer im creating and they all seem to work fine - you know lights come on and drives sound like they are working. When i try to install win xp it comes up saying there is no drive avaliable etc etc. So i messed around with it a bit a got the BIOS and xp set up to find 8.4 gig but not the rest (its a 200gig western gig drive). The motherboard i have is one of the latest around from intel (D925XECV2) with a pentium 4 3.0gig hertz and 1 gig of ram. I also have an ATA 133 low profile PCI host raid card. I have checked the jumpers a million times and cables but am stuck! What should i do to make it find the drive?
Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Futs

Futs

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:01 AM

Did you press F6 to install a 3rd party scsi or raid controller?
After which windows at a certain point will ask for the stiffy/floppy that came with the motherboard or in this case with your raid controller.
Posted Image

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:00 PM

A simple mistake I have made was I forgot to partition and format the drive . XP should have seen it anyways . I had this happen when I bough a used machine that had the drive wiped and all partitions deleted . Try Fdisk . Good luck .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 dude21

dude21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:07 AM

I have tryed to format/parti the drive and it still a no go. The software(s) i have tried just say that they cant find a drive etc. What should i do now?

I cant think of anything thats wrong with it. Cheecked the bios setup, cables, jumpers and still nothing.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 19 March 2005 - 02:38 AM

One thing I don't get is you only have one 200GB drive right?
Then what is the RAID card for?

Edited by Rimmer, 19 March 2005 - 02:42 AM.

#6 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2005 - 06:38 PM

Hello,

First, if you have paperwork for your Western Digital drive read it. It solves your problem.

If you don't I will type it out for you.

8.4 Barrier

There is an 8.4GB hard drive limitation on some traditional system BIOs. To access the full capacity of 8.4GB and larger drives, your system BIOS must support extended BIOS functions and your operating system recognize extended BIOS functions. It is difficult to determine if your system BIOS supports 8.4GB or larger hard drives. We recommend using the latest version of Data Lifeguard Tools to ensure support ot the full capacity of your drive. Other options are to upgrade your system BIOS or purchase a controller card. Contact your system or motherboard manufactuer of a BIOS Flash or more information.

This is right out of Western Digitals instructions.

I would delete all on your hard drive load Western Digitals Data Lifeguard before Windows. Make sure your BIOS is set to read CD boot first. If you don't have the Data Lifeguard on CD you could probably get it from Western Digital or I will burn you a copy if you like.

I also agree with the above post. Why do you have a RAID card installed? The one thing I do know about RAID is it is multi drive. Unless you are not telling us something don't use the RAID card. Also, disconnect your sound card if you have one...you will thank me later.

If your motherboard BIOS does not support your large drive then you will have use a freinds computer to download the new BIOS to flash your board. Read the instructions carefully from the website of your motherboard.

I hope this helps,

Junkdk :thumbsup:

Edited by junkdk, 19 March 2005 - 06:42 PM.

Your Hardware Guide.

#7 dude21

dude21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:09 AM

Hi guys,

I took the computer to one of my workmates that are in the IT world and he said its the hard drive thats gone.

I bought the RAID card as i am planing on having at least 2 drives and also because the intel mobo only has one IDE port and not a 2ndary (as i want to have 2 DVD drives in the computer)

I order a new drive in and see if that works

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users