Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ken J

Ken J

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:49 AM

I have a relatively new (August 2007) Gateway desktop running Windows Vista. Yesterday the computer stopped booting up; when the power button is pushed, the fan kicks in immediately--and loudly; lights on peripherals light up, showing they're getting power; but nothing else happens. The fan keeps running, and the computer never boots up.

I tried cleaning out the inside, thinking perhaps it was overheating--but there was really not much dust in there. And, the problem persisted.

I've been a little suspicious of that outlet, so I tried plugging the computer into a different outlet in case it wasn't getting enough power from the original outlet; nothing changed.

My companion reports that the computer blinked off and back on a couple times the night before it stopped working. When that happened, though, the fan did not run high as it does now--and when it blinked back on, it was back where it was before, not back at the beginning, so it sounds like it did not power off and restart. It sounds like a monitor problem, except for the fan acting funny. Could it be a problem with the onboard graphics card? I have not yet tested the monitor on another machine.

I text-chatted with a support person at Gateway, and they proposed sending it in for service, since it's still under warranty. Before I do that, though, I'm wondering if there's anything else I can try.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:30 AM

If it's under warranty and you had a valid communication with someone at Gateway support...and they authorize sending it in...I think I have to suggest doing that.

You say it never boots, yet you have lights and fans active...does that mean that it boots, but you have nothing shown on the monitor?

Nothing visible on the screen? No message of any sort?

Louis

#3 Ken J

Ken J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:46 AM

It acts like power kicks on, but the computer itself doesn't boot. Power flows to speakers and webcam, and the power light is on on the computer, but nothing shows up on the monitor. I tested the monitor on another computer, and it works there, so it's not a monitor problem.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:23 AM

Hmmm...I have a similar situation right now and I don't have an answer.

My computer does boot...I can see that everything is working...but there is nothing on the monitor other than the question "Video Cable Connected".

Just trying to verify that you have no feedback of any sort :flowers:.

My thinking is that power flowing to everything indicates that the motherboard and CPU are doing their respective jobs, I'm thinking RAM incompatibility for me, but that should not apply in your case. I have no clue :thumbsup:.

You don't get a POST beep?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 February 2008 - 10:24 AM.

#5 Ken J

Ken J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:24 AM

No beep--just fans kicking in immediately.

I just tried replacing the bios battery, and that had no effect. Neither did installing a new graphics card (the computer's graphics card was on the mother board).

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:42 AM

Same here...fans and drives work. Mine are new, noise levels are normal.

And my video card is good (I tried 3, all 3 are good). PS is new.

I'm thinking memory...only because some boards tend to be finicky and I generally don't buy premium memory (I don't game), but that's really nothing more than "I don't see any evidence that it can be anything else" :thumbsup:. The fact that I don't get a POST beep leads me in that direction. This is a new board/CPU (new for me).

I just came across this, worth reading: http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39685

Louis

#7 Ken J

Ken J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for the link. That certainly sounds like my situation. I'll go through it and let you know what comes out of it.

I tried replacing the power supply, and that had no effect. I also swapped back in the RAM the computer came with; I'd replaced it soon after getting the computer last August. Still no change.

#8 Ken J

Ken J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:13 PM

I'm concluding it's a motherboard problem, and I'm sending it back to Gateway. Thanks for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users