Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe Gone

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 FourCornersofReality

FourCornersofReality

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:18 AM

How do I fix explorer.exe. When I power on, the desktop is not there (start button, task bar, shortcuts), all gone. I have to open task manager CTR ALT DLT and manually run explorer.exe. Do I need to fix the registry? I keep running my registry cleaner, but I still have problems. Thank You for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:41 AM

Firstly, :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer!

Did you change any settings that may have caused explorer.exe to not run on start-up? Also, here at BC, we don't recommend the use of registry cleaners as they can lead to serious damage to your system.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:53 AM

Have you recently removed any viruses or malware from your system? Often an incomplete removal can cause these symptoms.
Have you scanned your system for viruses? What were the results?
Have you used any tweaking/customizing/shell programs recently?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:17 AM

You might also want to try running sfc /scannow to replace any missing or damaged system files.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Louis

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:03 PM

You could also try a system restore back to a time before the problem started.
Since you have no start menu and can't get to system restore that way, you'll have to use another method.

Open Task Manager.

At the top, click on File.
Select New Task (Run)
In the box, type in
restore.
Click OK.

Restore foler will open.
Click on the rstrui System Restore Application.
The icon is a computer with a clock on it.

When system restore opens, choose Restore computer to an earlier time.
Choose the restore point, let it do it's thing, computer will reboot.

Hopefully after a reboot your desktop will be back to normal.

#6 FourCornersofReality

FourCornersofReality
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:39 PM

You might also want to try running sfc /scannow to replace any missing or damaged system files.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Louis

Thanks for the help, I did exactly what you said to do, and it appeared to work.....but no. I'm still at square 1! I ran my antivirus scan at it found BRAVIAX trojan and WINELIMINATOR trojan or malware, (I dont know!) and it quarantiened it. I also ran a registry cleaner in which I know now not to use! I just know i messed up somehow by deleting the registry keys somewhere. But the reg cleaner sais everything is intact.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:32 PM

Did you try a system restore as described above?

I just had another thought. Are there any other user accounts set up on your computer?
If so, can you get to the desktop of one of them and does the desktop load?

If you don't have other users, you could boot into safe mode, use the admin account, and create one for test purposes. (That's what I do, I name it Test, then when finished delete the user account)

I'm curious to find out if it is something specific to your account or system wide.

#8 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:42 PM

How do I fix explorer.exe. When I power on, the desktop is not there (start button, task bar, shortcuts), all gone. I have to open task manager CTR ALT DLT and manually run explorer.exe. Do I need to fix the registry? I keep running my registry cleaner, but I still have problems. Thank You for your help.

Try this.

Getting out of trouble by creating a new task Not sure if this works with Vista

Now just "occasionally" you may end a process, or terminate a program, and then you lose everything! By this I mean you just have a desktop but NO task bar at the bottom of the screen and NO icon's on the desktop.

If this happens then start up the Windows XP Task Manager and select the Applications tab.

Now select the New Task button at the bottom of the window. A new smaller window will appear. In it simply type:

explorer.exe

explorer.exe is the Windows Program Manager (or Windows Explorer.) It manages the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager. By restarting this process the graphical interface for Windows will reappear.

Edited by bicycle bill, 28 February 2008 - 08:50 PM.

#9 FourCornersofReality

FourCornersofReality
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:35 PM

Try this.

Getting out of trouble by creating a new task Not sure if this works with Vista

Now just "occasionally" you may end a process, or terminate a program, and then you lose everything! By this I mean you just have a desktop but NO task bar at the bottom of the screen and NO icon's on the desktop.

If this happens then start up the Windows XP Task Manager and select the Applications tab.

Now select the New Task button at the bottom of the window. A new smaller window will appear. In it simply type:

explorer.exe

explorer.exe is the Windows Program Manager (or Windows Explorer.) It manages the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager. By restarting this process the graphical interface for Windows will reappear.

This is the only way i can use my computer now. And once it opens I have about 6 seconds before it goes blank again and I cant see the task bar or the shortcuts.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:50 PM

I ask again, have you checked to see if the issue is system wide or just specific to your account?
It would be worth the few minutes it takes to check.

#11 FourCornersofReality

FourCornersofReality
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:34 PM

I ask again, have you checked to see if the issue is system wide or just specific to your account?
It would be worth the few minutes it takes to check.

I tried system restore and unfortunetly it did not work, I tried also to sign on as a different user but to no avail!

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:46 PM

It seems to be system wide. Unfortunately that is out of my area of expertise.
Others will have to advise you further.

#13 FourCornersofReality

FourCornersofReality
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:25 AM

As soon as I open task manager is there any possible code I can use to keep explorer.exe running all the time?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:47 PM

Well, I'm no expert but I'm not shy with my opinions :flowers:.

If my explorer.exe was missing, I'd be worried. I've always thought that explorer.exe IS Windows :thumbsup:.

I suggest that you take a look at the first 4/5 of the links at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=w...explorer.exe%3F

I'd do a thorough series of scans (using reliable software) for malware. If that came up clean, then I'd just do a repair install of XP.

Louis

#15 newbudist

newbudist

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:07 PM

I Have had this problem before its a corrupted operating system. a way to tell would be launch explorer as before
open my computer
click tools (3 on from file)
if i am right and you are corrupt folder options will not be presant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users