Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Choose Destination For Things

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 khol

khol

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:55 AM

Hey, this could have occured a while ago as I never noticed up until a few weeks ago. When trying to install the WoW trial, along with other things that need it, I cant choose the destination. This is what comes up,

Posted Image

As you can see, just a gray screen instead of what should be there. Anyone know what happened or why its doing this? Can it be easily fixed? thanks.

Edited by khol, 28 February 2008 - 03:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:35 AM

I can't see your screen shot, could you repost it?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:14 AM

If the button at the bottom left isn't active, I would just uninstall that trial...and try downloading it again.

Sometimes files get corrupted/damaged during attempted downloads...in which case, the download won't behave properly.

Louis

#4 khol

khol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:10 AM

If the button at the bottom left isn't active, I would just uninstall that trial...and try downloading it again.

Sometimes files get corrupted/damaged during attempted downloads...in which case, the download won't behave properly.

Louis

It doesn't just do that with the trial, its like that anytime I have to use that menu.

I can't see your screen shot, could you repost it?

Posted Image

work?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:05 AM

I don't understand what you are saying...or trying to say.

That install routine is part of the trial program, is it not?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 February 2008 - 11:06 AM.

#6 khol

khol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:46 AM

I don't understand what you are saying...or trying to say.

That install routine is part of the trial program, is it not?

Louis

Yes, but the problem I have doesn't occur because of the installing of the program. Its just like 100% of the time. Its just only an annoyance now.

I cant install it when the menu is like that. "Make new folder" does nothing, and clicking ok closes the installation.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:47 PM

OK, well...to be honest, I don't recall ever seeing that menu in my 12 years of playing around with computers. Maybe in an earlier version of Windows, but I certainly don't remember it.

Maybe it's because I've always install to the default C:/Program Files....but that menu you pasted there....doesn't look like anything I've ever seen on XP.

To make sure that I was remembering correctly, I just installed a program and I did not ever get that screen, even though I did not install it in the Programs group.

You do have XP installed, right? If not, what is the version of Windows?

Louis

#8 khol

khol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:12 AM

OK, well...to be honest, I don't recall ever seeing that menu in my 12 years of playing around with computers. Maybe in an earlier version of Windows, but I certainly don't remember it.

Maybe it's because I've always install to the default C:/Program Files....but that menu you pasted there....doesn't look like anything I've ever seen on XP.

To make sure that I was remembering correctly, I just installed a program and I did not ever get that screen, even though I did not install it in the Programs group.

You do have XP installed, right? If not, what is the version of Windows?

Louis

XP, and yes this is the first program where ive had to install like this. If you could, download the trial im using and install it, then you can see what im talking about.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:19 PM

Either you are not getting the point I'm trying to make (it's a program problem, not an XP problem) or I'm not getting the point you are trying to make.

The only way that I know to fix a program problem is:

a. Assume that the download was corrupt...download a different copy of the same program (or a more recent version)...and install.

b. Update the program and hope that fixes whatever is wrong with it.

c. Remove the program from my system.

Since you cannot get past the install stage...it seems to me that I would only have 2 options if I were in your shoes.

But I can be stupid at times...so maybe someone else has something that will help you.

Louis

#10 khol

khol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:02 AM

Either you are not getting the point I'm trying to make (it's a program problem, not an XP problem) or I'm not getting the point you are trying to make.

The only way that I know to fix a program problem is:

a. Assume that the download was corrupt...download a different copy of the same program (or a more recent version)...and install.

b. Update the program and hope that fixes whatever is wrong with it.

c. Remove the program from my system.

Since you cannot get past the install stage...it seems to me that I would only have 2 options if I were in your shoes.

But I can be stupid at times...so maybe someone else has something that will help you.

Louis

Thanks for the input, but it isnt a program issue. Its a computer issue that I dont know how to fix. On my other computer, if i download the same thing and install it, the same menu comes up. Except instead of a big grey blank menu, I get this, Posted Image Thats what it should look like, not just a grey menu. I can then install it on my desktop and boom everything is fine. Hope that clears it up

Edited by khol, 01 March 2008 - 11:06 AM.

#11 khol

khol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:39 PM

bump

#12 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:19 AM

Well first of all, try disabling your WindowBlinds skin or whatever skin you have on your operating system, it could possibly be the problem.

Also, figure out if the installer is using Windows Installer, you may want to re-install it or make sure you have the most current.
Not sure what the guy meant by saying he has "never seen that screen in 12 years of messing around with computers" since it is in fact a very common screen that is not ONLY native to the WoW installer, other program installations just use that same screen. He possibly was confused since you have a skin in the OS.

It is definitely not a problem with the installer, it is something native to your computer, either a corrupt Windows installer, Wise installer, etc..., a problem with your skin, or possible a Windows system problem.

1) Disable your Gui skin.

2) Figure out what installer is being used... again, Windows Installer, Wise Install, etc... and post back.

#13 khol

khol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I changed the skin like you said and i get the same thing, Posted Image

I installed the latest version of windows installer as well, still no luck.

As far as I know it doesnt say if it uses windows or wise installer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users