Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wireless Internet Issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_haalaj_*

Guest_haalaj_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:12 PM

Me and my gf both have the same laptops with vista basic.

We moved into a house with wireless internet, it worked perfect for 2 months. Then a couple weeks ago it started quitting, it runs very slow and sometimes not at all. It connects and says it has excellent reception, its just too slow. If I plug in the cable to the router its fast and works fine.

Internet must be fine since it works when plugged in. Could it be an issue with the router since we both started experiencing it at the same time? A friend of mine said it was a setting in vista that could be causing it to run this way. Once and awhile it will just say identifying and not connect to the network. Usually after resetting the router we can connect again, but its still super slow.

Any ideas?

Thanks, if this is in the wrong section I apologize.

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rf6647

rf6647

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:00 PM

A failing router tops my suspect list, and costs have come down significantly.
However, interference & signal drop out are also possibilities.
Experiment with channels 3,6, and 9. Observe if link is stable with good data rates.
Any new appliances or large heavy objects blocking antennas?
Are both laptops in the same room? (normally this is not a problem)

I do not know how to make changes, but I understand that the default transmission power lever is less than the max. than can be delivered by both ends (router & adapter). One of these days, maybe, I can confirm this as worthy of consideration - but I read it in another post.

Oh, check your router for parasites. MAC filtering limits who connects to the router. Encryption helps protect your data, but it is far from perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users