Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keep Getting Reinfected When My Teen Uses Myspace

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Marebare

Marebare

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:22 PM

Hello, folks.
My teen can't get enough of MySpace, YouTube and associated activities. The more she uses them, the more I have to keep cleaning out Virtumonde, Smitfraude, etc. malware that keep repeatingly placed on my PC. I'm tired of the junk! How can she keep using her favorite sites without junking up the PC with malware? I am running Win XP, antivirus is Panda Internet Security (which I love 10x better than Norton or McAfee) plus I also clean out with Spybot often (probably need to do this more often). What guidelines can I give my teen to help prevent malware? She also IM's a lot, and I'm gonna tell her about not clicking on IM links.
Frustrated Mom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JDM2

JDM2

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

Do you use the Firefox browser? That will definitely help. You're more likely to get infected on myspace using Internet Explorer.

Spybot is pretty ineffective these days. It was decent several years ago, but now I'd recommend Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware.

Edited by JDM2, 27 February 2008 - 07:30 PM.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:32 PM

You can try installing Firefox with the Noscript addon installed. This will prevent most scripts from running automatically.

Another option is using Returnil which prevents changes to the computer (ANY changes) from becoming permanent after reboot.

Oh, and make sure your daughter isn't running Windows as the Administrator!!

#4 Marebare

Marebare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:06 PM

Umm.. ahh.. why shouldn't I let my daughter run Windows as an administrator? Okay, I probably sound hopeless, but spell it out anyway...

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

Generally speaking, no one should run Windows as the Administrator for day to day use. The Administrator has access to all files and registry entries, can modify, delete, and add new programs, and generally do whatever they like. This is especially troublesome when someone logged on as Administrator downloads a virus or other malware. The malware automatically has the same abilities as the user that downloads/runs it. So, if a virus is downloaded by the Administrator it can wreak havoc throughout the system; if it is downloaded by a Limited User or Guest account, it can't really do all that much.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't trust your daughter! Not by a long shot! I'm saying that you should only log on as the Administrator when you need to perform Administrative tasks.
Further Reading
Even More Further Reading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users