Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Highjack This

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Seaman

Ken Seaman

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

What is highjack this and where do i find it and can the lay person interpet it, once done. I am looking for anything that will keep me up on protecting my system.
thanks, Ken :thumbsup:
Ken Seaman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:17 PM

What is highjack this and where do i find it and can the lay person interpet it, once done. I am looking for anything that will keep me up on protecting my system.
thanks, Ken :flowers:

Hi Ken Seaman, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

HiJackThis is a program which basically spits out a log file containing info about all the running processes, startup programs, etc. on the current computer. It can be downloaded from here.

In general, laypeople will not be able to interpret the logs as they don't differentiate between useful, legitimate programs; absolutely necessary programs; malware programs; etc.

BC has a special forum where you can upload your HijackThis logs for expert review. However, this should only be done if you suspect you have an infection that can't be addressed by a simple Anti-malware scan. This is because we have so few HJT Team members and they should be focusing on actually infected logs. Therefore use of this forum is governed by strict rules. Read more here.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 27 February 2008 - 07:18 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:29 PM

Please note that removing something with this tool without the proper knowledge to do so can have serious adverse affects on your computer.

Warning

HijackThis should only be used if your browser or computer is still having problems after running Spybot or another Spyware/Hijacker remover. HijackThis is an advanced tool, and therefore requires advanced knowledge about Windows and operating systems in general. If you delete items that it shows, without knowing what they are, it can lead to other problems such as your Internet no longer working or problems with running Windows itself. You should also attempt to clean the Spyware/Hijacker/Trojan with all other methods before using HijackThis. If you allow HijackThis to remove entries before another removal tool scans your computer, the files from the Hijacker/Spyware will still be left on your computer and future removal tools will not be able to find them.

If you do not have advanced knowledge about computers you should NOT fix entries using HijackThis without consulting an expert on using this program. If you have already run Spybot - S&D and Ad-Aware and are still having problems, then please continue with this tutorial and post a HijackThis log in our HijackThis forum, including details about your problem, and we will advise you on what to fix.

Edited by boopme, 27 February 2008 - 11:31 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Ken Seaman

Ken Seaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:55 AM

thank you andrew that was the info I was looking for, I at this time have no reason to believe my puter is infected with anything except a bad user. again thank you for your help. :thumbsup:
Ken Seaman

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:31 AM

you have already mentioned on this thread some of your chosen protection
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...&pid=753246

as other have said, HJT is a diagnostic tool to be used carefully and wisely; I have seen on another site someone who decided to run the tool and click on certain entries to 'remove 'them with little knowledge of their effects; they then wondered why the computer behaved very oddly :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:07 AM

Also, the use of HJT to remove entries can cause some infections to mutate and hide themselves. Be werry, werry caweful! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users