Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crimson Editor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 huMAC

huMAC

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:16 PM

I just downloaded Crimson Editor and was able to install it without a sweat. But for some reason I can't seem to compile or run my java codes. Help anyone?

The version I downloaded was Crimson Editor 3.70.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:18 PM

But for some reason I can't seem to compile or run my java codes

What does that mean? Is your keyboard or mouse broken? Are your fingers broken? Does your monitor curse at you? Do ninjas jump out of the closet and beat you with camel tails? :thumbsup:

#3 huMAC

huMAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:52 PM

The compile and run option is not available for some reason

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

Truth be told, I have never used that particular application, and being as how it has not been maintained for over 4 years, I doubt too many people will be able to help you. The obvious question would be whether or not you have the Java SDK installed, and, any chance that you might consider something a bit newer, like Eclipse or NetBeans? At least they have active support.

You have to keep in mind that we are not mind readers. When you make a statement like the one you made in your first post, there is no possible way anybody can answer your question. We have many talented people here willing to help, but unless you ask good questions, we can't do that. :thumbsup:

#5 huMAC

huMAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:33 PM

Yeah, that was my fault and I will try to ask more clearly next time.

I need to have this program installed because its require for my computer class. I also do not know if any of those newer programs you stated are acceptable for that class so I'm just going to wait to ask my teacher. But if anyone here know how I can get the compile/run option to work, please share it with me.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:31 AM

The only thing I could think of right off the top of my head is that you do not have the java SDK installed. If that wer et he case, then there would be no way you could compile it because all IDE's (the ones with which I am familiar) rely on the compiler in the JDK.

#7 Big Ant

Big Ant

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:41 AM

In Order to get the editor to compile and run you must follow these steps given by selecting the help option:

How to compile Java source code

If you have finished writing Java program, then you can use user tools to compile this program into byte code without escaping from Crimson Editor.

The following example assume that you already installed Java 2 SDK in 'C:\jdk1.3.1' directory. (ref: How to install Java 2 SDK)

1. Open Preferences dialog box and select User Tools page
2. Select an empty slot and fill with the following arguments.
- Menu Text: Compile Java Source Code
- Command: C:\jdk1.3.1\bin\javac.exe ---make sure this points to current JDk on your computer(In my case it was "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_02\bin\javac.exe")
- Initial dir: $(FileDir)
- Hot key: Ctrl+F7
- Capture output: Yes
- Save before execute: Yes

After that, you can press Ctrl+F7 while editing 'test.java' to compile this source code.

How to execute Java byte code ↑ Top

If you have finished editing 'test.java', and you already compiled this file into byte code named 'test.class', then you can use user tools to execute this byte code to see the result without escaping from Crimson Editor.

The following example assume that you already installed Java 2 SDK in 'C:\jdk1.3.1' directory. (ref: How to install Java 2 SDK)

1. Open Preferences dialog box and select User Tools page
2. Select an empty slot and fill with the following arguments.
- Menu Text: Execute Java Byte Code
- Command: C:\jdk1.3.1\bin\java.exe-----make sure this points to current JDk on your computer(In my case it was "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_02\bin\java.exe")
- Argument: $(FileTitle)
- Initial dir: $(FileDir)
- Hot key: Ctrl+F5
- Capture output: Yes or No
- Save before execute: No

After that you can press Ctrl+F5 while editing 'test.java' to execute 'test.class'.

If you do these steps then you should be able to compile by Ctrl+F7 and run with Ctrl+F5

#8 huMAC

huMAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:50 PM

The only place I find javac.exe is in this directory. Does it seem right?

C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8\JVM\bin\javac.exe

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:44 AM

<sigh>

No, that is not right. I asked you before (twice) if you downloaded the JDK, because that is where the correct compiler is located. That is where all of the libraries that you need to compile a java application are going to be located. That's why the path that Big Ant gave you says "C:\jdk1.3.1\bin\javac.exe". If you look really close, it says JDK right in the path name. What does that mean exactly?

You must have the JDK installed on your system.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users