Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Could Not Be Read Error.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Deltaforce229

Deltaforce229

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:20 PM

I have been getting this for months now but it seems to be getting worse. When ever i open any program there is a 50/50 chance i will get this error.

Posted Image

The addresses in the error are not always the same but the error it self is. I don't know if anyone has had this happen before because i can use the search feature on the forums but if it has happened before could someone post how they fixed it or point me to another topic about it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:39 PM

Here's the results of a google search for hammer.exe. Quite a few of the hits refer to a virus infection. Some of them refer to some sort of drummer software. Could either of these be on your system?

If you think it's the virus, I'd suggest posting over in the "Am I Infected" forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Deltaforce229

Deltaforce229
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:28 PM

I don't think it's a virus unless its a rootkit I'm pretty good at keeping my system clean. But as I said it doesn't just happen with Hammer it also happens with other software. Also, just to clarify, hammer is a map editor for valve.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:57 AM

Since you know that hammer is a legit program on your system - I'd suggest uninstalling it and then downloading a brand new copy of the latest version and installing that. That "should" fix the errors that are popping up.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the address 0xfffffff8 is likely to be outside of the addressable memory range for your system. So the instruction at 0x7c910de3 (likely the hammer.exe) couldn't access it.

Edited by usasma, 28 February 2008 - 08:39 AM.
brain cramp

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:14 AM

have you added ram to your computer?

have you tested your ram?

do all the timings match the spd tables?

Is it running at specs?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Deltaforce229

Deltaforce229
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:07 PM

@usasma I was using hammer as an example. It's not the only software effected
@DaChew
have you added ram to your computer? No.

have you tested your ram? How?

do all the timings match the spd tables? If you tell me how to check the ram without using a boot disc I'll tell you.

Is it running at specs? If you tell me how to check the ram without using a boot disc I'll tell you.

Also my pc got so bad that every time I booted my pc up I got the error on a vital system process and it rebooted. I tried to do a system repair and that didn't work so I have broken down and reformatted. I hope you will forgive me, I desperately needed the use of my pc to finish a chemistry project.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:28 PM

A format and clean install...is a good solution for many situations.

It won't solve a hardware problem, though...if such should be the case.

Let us know when it appears things are going wrong, it's a lot easier to solve problems when they first appear.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users