Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32 Or 64 Bit?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wenger828

wenger828

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:29 PM

Hey guys, i plan on building a computer for me and my brother as both of ours are starting to get pretty old and they're cheap dells. i am pretty good when it comes to computer, just fairly new at building them and installing OS's.

Now my question is, probably a very 'noob' question, is what do i need? i plan on getting vista, but i don't know what the difference is between 32 bit and 64 bit.

my computer will be used to play some games, mostly music stuff, and internet. on my computer now, i have windows xp, but nowhere could i find whether it was a 32bit or 64, which woulda helped alot.
basically my question is, what do all you guys have? thanks for you input!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:12 PM

I have 64 bit - but for most people it's not necessary and there's still a shortage of 64 bit drivers for some hardware.

If you plan on using your old hardware, make sure that there are Vista drivers for it - both 32 bit and 64 bit don't always have compatible drivers (like if you've got an older printer that you want to use - it may not work with Vista).

In short, unless you've got a pressing need for 4 or more gB of RAM, 64 bit isn't needed for most anything that you run these days. I've got it because I'm always tinkering and it was the next step for me.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 wenger828

wenger828
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

great thanks alot for that info. Thing is, i have a friend that has a 64bit home premium version of vista that is willing to give it to me if i buy windows xp 32bit. i haven't realized that 64 bit seems like fairly new when it comes to OS's. i'll probably end up going with the 64 bit on my brothers computer, and then basically use his as a guinea pig to see if i want 32 or 64 bit when go about building mine. thanks for the info!

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

I've been using 64-bit since Vista was released and I haven't had many compatibility problems. Drivers may be an issue if you have old or exotic hardware. Whether or not those drivers will be any good is debatable. 64-bit OS's have been around for a while but are fairly new in the consumer markets. If you have 4GB or more or RAM and you've checked driver compatibility, go for it.

3939.png

#5 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

If you have 4GB or more or RAM and you've checked driver compatibility, go for it.

Less than 4gb of RAM will be a problem??.. :huh:
c18903e63196580f.gif
snemelk.hekko.pl - my site with a few computer security tips...
Silesia - that's where I live!

"If I had some duct tape, I could fix that." - MacGyver

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:29 PM

No, you can use 64-bit with all RAM amounts. However, the main reason to run 64-bit is to get the boost in the amount of memory your system has available. Also, 64-bit data takes up more space in memory. I can easily see people going to 64-bit Vista with less than 4GB of RAM to get the various security benefits.

Here's an article about 64-bit Vista. Keep in mind that it is out of date and the author now says that Vista 64-bit is a good choice unless you use programs that will run only in 32-bit. Vista can emulate a 32-bit environment using WoW64 making this a relatively minor issue.

Link

3939.png

#7 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:39 AM

Thank you for a link - it was very interesting article..:huh:..

Personally, I use 64bit Vista with 2gb of RAM... And I see it being completely enough for me these days... - Usually computer uses less than 1gb of RAM and up to 60% of 2gb when working on some projects... When needed, I'll probably buy more RAM...

Thanks again for a reply... :huh:
c18903e63196580f.gif
snemelk.hekko.pl - my site with a few computer security tips...
Silesia - that's where I live!

"If I had some duct tape, I could fix that." - MacGyver

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:43 AM

4 gB of RAM is "sort of" the cutoff for using 64 bit OS's because there's additional overhead with 64 bit systems. In general, if you upgrade a system with 4gB of RAM from 32 bit to 64 bit you won't see any significant improvement (did it myself).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users