Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Router Setup Went Down Can't Get Working Again

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nixgod

nixgod

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:39 PM

I have 2 router a linksys with vonage and a d-link 524 wireless. I had them setup with the linksys as the router that controlled the dhcp. the address of the linksys is 192.168.15.1. Then I had a cable going from a lan port on the linksys to a lan port on the d-link. I had setup the dlink to have an ip of 192.168.15.2. Then i disabled dhcp on the dlink. I had two laptops that were connected wireless working fine. Last night when i booted up a laptop i was not able to aquire an ip thru dhcp. I was able to take one laptop and set a static ip and get connected. The other laptop is locked down from my wife's work so that i can not set her a static ip. I can not fiure out what has changed that would cause this. To get the wireless connection working for my wife i set the d-link back to factory defaults and moved the line from the linksys over to the wan port. then set the dlink up as it own network. I tried this morning to set the dlink bcak they way it was. But still could not get an ip to pull thru. After i set the dlink back to defaults again i noticed that it was not able to get a ip thru dhcp from the linksys router. So i hink the proble is wih the linksys not sending out the ip. here is the setup i would like keep if possible

modem----linksys----Dlink

The reason for this is because the linkys has to have a cable in the wan port because of the phone. I tried before the put the linksys behind the dlink but then could not get computers on the linksys to share withe anything on the dlink. If this can be done please piint me in the direction on how to do that.

If the Links is not sending out the ips. can i go back to have the the dlink and linksys connected by lan ports nad have the dlink give out ips

thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:12 PM

Can you explain a bit better why it is necessary to have to routers? Because of Dialup? It has been my experience that this is pretty much a recipe for disaster. I don't know how your routers are configured, but you are describing a problem that can be caused by a router having its firmware updated, which means that it is pretty hard to know what happened to the configuration.

#3 nixgod

nixgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:16 PM

I did not upgrade the firmware on either router. her is the way the routers are setup and why. the linksys router is hooked up to my cable modem. it has the vonage phone adapter built into it. then the dlink id hooked up to the linksys so i can acces the internet with my laptops wirelessly.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:43 AM

did not upgrade the firmware on either router

My router is configured to update automatically, so that is why I mentioned it.

So if I am understanding your situation, you have two routers because neither one does everything that it needs to do. At any rate, by my own bit of logic, the innermost router (which is the DLink in your case) is the one that should be doing NAT and DHCP. The router closes to the Modem should not be doing any of that. It should just be passing the signal straight through. I am not sure how that will affect your Vonage though. It sounds like you just need to set your DLink router to use the other router as a gateway. Again, this is not really my area of expertise, I am just trying to think it through.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:59 PM

See if this helps. I'd keep'm both in the same LAN, still the description might show where the fault is, and it says precisely what groovicus said plus gives pictures
http://www.grc.com/nat/nats.htm

I know that Linksys has two methods described on their site how to do just that, other manufacturers likely do too. I can't find the link at the moment, but their detailed description is excellent. D-Link likely has something like that as well.

I'm thinking it through as well because I plan to have two routers for the same reason. One old, one wireless. I know it works, because people do it all the time. Corporation networks are nothing but big router farms, think about it, though the DHCP is not necesarrily the closest to your computer. Some people double-router for reason no other than extra security like two doorlocks are better than one :thumbsup:

Edited by tos226, 29 February 2008 - 12:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users