Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loud Beep Upon Startup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:56 AM

it doesn't happen all the time, but on three separate occasions. One time, it was on standby I think, but maybe it was a start up also, I don't remember. It beeped when it was starting up, but it started fine. No problems. No messages. the fan isn't louder than usual. the computer isn't slower than normal. Just that one loud beep upon startup. It's louder than what the speakers are set at, so I figure it's from the motherboard, or video card, or somewhere else.. Any idea what it could be, and should I start it up again to see what it does exactly? thanks for your help.

Edit: I've done a warm and cold boot, and couldn't reproduce the "beep". A few things that are different since hearing the beep is that I took out a CD which was a game I installed. I just never removed it until now. Also, I've installed Comodo BO Clean Anti-malware program. That's all I can think of. Thanks again.

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name
User Name

Motherboard:
CPU Type Mobile Intel Pentium M 740J, 1733 MHz (13 x 133)
Motherboard Name Dell Inspiron 9300
Motherboard Chipset Intel Alviso i915PM
System Memory 2048 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (06/21/05)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800 (256 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800 (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce Go 6800
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2653
Disk Drive FUJITSU MHV2100AH (100 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Optical Drive SONY DVD+-RW DW-D56A (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:8x/8x, DVD-RW:4x/4x, DVD-ROM:8x, CD:24x/10x/24x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 91597 MB (19897 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Alps Touch Pad
Mouse Microsoft USB Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 (IntelliPoint)

Network:
Network Adapter Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Network Adapter Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (192.168.1.107)
Modem Conexant

Edited by Bernie70, 27 February 2008 - 11:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:58 PM

I believe you are describing a BIOS POST beep. One short beep at startup means everything passed the test and it's OK. If you get a series of long and short beeps. it's telling you something is wrong. You can then troubleshoot the problem by reading the BIOS beep codes for your particular BIOS chip
EXAMPLE
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users