Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Problem. Black Screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pyromaania

Pyromaania

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:01 AM

Hi :thumbsup: Im new here, i dont know the whole drill with all the things in my computer :flowers:
Figures... im 15 ._.'

Anyways, I have a major problem
Heres how it happened:

I was playing Rainbow Six: Vegas. Killed a few terrorists, messed around, the usual.
Got bored, closed it. No error messages or anything (which is normal). Im sorta grounded (A)
I heard my mom coming, i quickly shut down the computer by pressing the ON/Off button.
Few hours pass, parents leave. I try to turn on my computer again. Everything seems fine.
My DFI Lanparty logo comes up, then the list(or whatever, u know, it shows basically what u have enabled in BIOS and stuff).
Then when i was expecting for the Windows XP logo/splashscreen to come up.. it didnt.
It never did. So i started googling with a friends laptop he willingly lent me.
Ive been searching and trying stuff for 3 days now. Nothing helps...
its not the black screen+cursor problem, cause its just totally black, it wont do anything... But the monitor is on...
It isnt black like its off, its black like a black colored screen...

I dont know what much to say about my computer...
Uhm...

AMD Opteron 185 CPU
nVidia GeForce 8800GTS
3 GB Ram,
Mobo = DFI Lanparty nF4 UT

Hope thats enough information.

I already cleared the CMOS twice, removing the jumper. I Rechecked the wiring and all the jumpers once, but i think i didnt do a pretty good job :inlove:
Not sure...
PLEASE help :cool: :trumpet: :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:10 AM

Don't worry about your age - you'll grow out of it! :trumpet: We've got a lot of younger members here - including quite a few on the staff.
As for being grounded - well, that's part of growing up. I promise I won't tell! :thumbsup:

The Windows boot process is a complicated issue. What's causing the problem will be difficult to figure out (but you've got the time since you'r grounded :flowers:

First, I'd suggest downloading a bootable diagnostic utility for your hard drive from the website of the hard drive manufacturer (they're free). Run the test and see what it has to say about your hard drive.

Next, do you have an XP installtion CD? If so, you can boot into the recovery console and try these commands:
fixboot
fixmbr

To see if that'll remedy the issue.

The third most common reason for this is corrupted video drivers. To figure this out, you'll have to get into Windows somehow.

Post back with what you're able to do and we can work from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Pyromaania

Pyromaania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

Alright. I got the diagnostic boot-cd done, but, the next problem came up, neither my mouse or my keyboard will work, and i need the keyboard basically.

And how do i get into therecovery console?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:31 PM

Are they USB devices? If so, do you have USB legacy support enabled in the system's BIOS? You can usually access the BIOS by pressing the "Del" key as the system starts to boot.

Or, do you have the PS2 type of mouse and keyboard (the one's with the little round thing that sticks in the back of the computer?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Pyromaania

Pyromaania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:25 AM

i think my i have it enabled, but it wont work :thumbsup:
the BIOS says so...
atm im trying to get ahold of a PS/2 type keyboard...
im worried about my computer :D:D

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:01 AM

FWIW: I get that black screen (no writing) sometimes when a system has a connection to a drive which is loose. Same thing, POST completes but system does not boot into Windows, just a black screen.

I just turn the system off, undo my connections to the drives (both PS and motherboard) and reconnect them. System boots cleanly every time after that.

Sometimes I will get an error message during POST indicating that it has problems picking up one of my SATA drives (I have two connected)...but not always. The cure works for me every time.

Louis

#7 Pyromaania

Pyromaania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:26 PM

@ hamluis
nope, doesnt work for me:/
i was just getting my hopes up... still no ps2 keyboard.....

oh, btw, i have a sata 3.0g drive, if that helps

#8 Pyromaania

Pyromaania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:48 PM

Alright, i passed the HD diagnostic...
It says i passed, no errors, no nothing.

i try to boot my windows cd, it does the same thing as without the cd,
Mobo logo, POST, Boot from cd, press any key, [presses key], black screen.

the harddrive is totally okay, i recently bought it,(last summer, summer '07)
its a 750 GB drive, seagate 3.0 Gb/s

HEEELP :flowers::trumpet::thumbsup:

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:03 PM

You ran the long test for hard drives? What is the name of the diagnostic you used?

I find it hard to believe that your system ran a bootable hard drive diagnostic...but won't run a bootable copy of XP. That would seem to say that there is something wrong with your XP CD, IMO.

When you bought an item...has nothing to do with when it malfunctions, IME. I've bought memory that was brand new and was apparently defective and I've RMA'd hard drives which had not reached the end of the warranty period.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2008 - 04:05 PM.

#10 Pyromaania

Pyromaania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:51 AM

mmm, the harddrive should be okay :S:S i hope it is.
i only have a non-legit copy of xp at hand atm.... and yes, its the one i have on my computer.
It should work, the cd is okay, it boots up on other computers

but i did the diagnostic, the long test... took me 4 hrs >_>
thats what i get with a large drive :D:D

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:38 AM

Well...to be honest...I don't think many persons are going to waste time trying to tell you how to fix any problems with an illegal install of XP.

The possibilities for what is wrong could be reduced to the fact that it's an illegal copy which is not properly updated...IMO.

Louis

#12 Pyromaania

Pyromaania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:16 PM

it updates. regularly...
i fooled around with it...
please help. i know you're not gonna try to help, but please...
im in 9th grade and i have my exams coming...
c'mon... pl0x?
:/

I have an orig. xp, but its been with my dad in the USA for a long time now...
so i had to reformat, get a new hard drive...
and i didnt have the cd....
please dont blame me, i got it from the local computer store :D

edit//for spelling mistakes

Edited by Pyromaania, 03 March 2008 - 02:20 PM.

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:50 PM

Have you tried booting in safe mode?

To boot in safe mode:

1. Power on the computer
2. Immediately after the POST screen (where it shows you the RAM and BIOS settings, etc.) start tapping your F8 key (note: you may need to find a PS/2 keyboard, but maybe not)
3. If the Windows bootloader is responding at all, you should get a black screen with white text offering you several options. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and press enter.

Assuming you made it this far, you'll want to run chkdsk to repair any damage to the file system.
If you DO get into Safe Mode, let us know and we can go from there.

#14 Pyromaania

Pyromaania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:40 PM

i can try.... i dont think it will work.
a friend tried booting up with linux knoppix, all it does is the same as win xp cd, black screen. i hear both drives moving, so it cant be a
circulation malfuntction...

alright. i tried to get to the safe mode screens...
g****mn...

i press f8, but it doesnt do anything.
i can get into boot, but nothing after POST....
but the usb keyboard must work...
if it asks to press a key to boot from cd, i press, it reacts...
the lil sound thingy makes clicks when i press a key, as it has always done :D

:/ what is wrong with my lil pc :/

Edited by usasma, 03 March 2008 - 05:04 PM.
see ****

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:06 PM

If you dad has the legitimate copy of XP - then he should be responsible for fixing this mess.
Since this involves an illegal copy of XP, I'm closing this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users