Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Which Anti Virus Software?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mattbronson_*

Guest_mattbronson_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:35 AM

Hi everyone, my Norton Internet Security is up for renewal soon and I am shopping around for something which doesn't grind my machine to an almost halt. Can anyone recommend an AV software (or combination of packages) that performs better than Norton?

I've been doing some digging on the net but most of the stuff out there seems to be endorsments by the companies themselves!

Many thanks for any advice you can pass my way.

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:56 AM

There is no one size fits all when it comes to computer security. What works for me may not work for you. As you have found out, it's possible that a product can adversely affect your systems performance. Others may use the same program and have no issues. You just have to find the ones that work best for you and your computer. I had no problems with Norton when I used it, but McAfee antivirus and Panda slowed my computer to a turtle paced crawl.
With that being said, you can go with a paid program or with a free alternative.
I use Comodo firewall and AVG antivirus and haven't experienced any issues with them.
For a list of free programs, have a look here:

Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Try out a few, see which is a good fit for you.
IF you decide to go with a paid program, first see if the manufacturer offers a free trial of the product.
Install it if they do, you'll know real quick how it works and affects your system. No sense in paying for something that will cause problems.

#3 Guest_Pivopija_*

Guest_Pivopija_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:36 PM

- If you want paid program, then buy Drweb.

- If you want free program, then use AVG.

Greetings...

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:26 PM

Both suggestions by Pivopija are antivirus programs.
To anyone who replies to the question asked by mattbronson:
PLEASE NOTE HE IS WANTING TO REPLACE NORTON INTERNET SECURITY, WHICH INCLUDES BOTH
ANTIVIRUS AND FIREWALL.
Also include firewall choices when answering.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:43 AM

I would advise you to use Comodo Firewall Pro version 3 and Avira Antivir Personal Edition Classic. They are both free no conflicts and both have very good help forums.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#6 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:42 AM

Another general suggestion is to search on your intended "replacement" for user reviews which can be found aplenty in various forums - while its true every computer setup is different you'll get a feel for how the firewall, antivirus or antispyware is working out for users. Any security suite is going to use more resources than putting together a free firewall, AV and AS, but that's an individual decision. Each of the security suites have forums - see what current users are saying - how many are satisfied? what about technical support? If you're paying for a product what can you expect in the way of support? I haven't check it out recently but on the security suite software - amazon.com used to have user review section and it was a useful source of information; also cnet.com and pcworld.com have done security suite reviews in the past. Taking a look at the reviews might help you.

#7 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:20 AM

TechSupport Alert looks at security suites
http://www.techsupportalert.com/review-security-guards.htm

AV comparitives of antivirus software
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Firewall Guide
http://www.firewallguide.com/

PC mag Security Suite Smackdown
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2186661,00.asp

PcPro security suites tested
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/145083/norton-...urity-2008.html

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:17 AM

I need to clarify something here.
When I made my last post, I neglected to mention WHY to suggest firewalls.
Mattbronson asked specifically about antivirus. And Pivopija addressed that by mentioning AV's only.
My position is that since NIS security contains a firewall, the firewall will obviously be uninstalled when Norton is removed from his computer.
In the past, when someone has mentioned having a suite, but mentions only the antivirus component, I've asked does it contain a firewall? And the answer is YES it does.
People become fixated on the AV, and ignore the firewall component, which is just as essential as the AV. If the user wants to replace a suite with a free program, the firewall must be included. Otherwise, we may see that person posting about problems caused by the lack of total security.

#9 Guest_Pivopija_*

Guest_Pivopija_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:10 PM

My mistake :thumbsup: , I forgot firewall and antyspyware as part of internet security. I recommend Look 'n' Stop Firewall(commercial and free version), and AVG AntiSpyware(commercial and free version). :flowers:

Greetings...

#10 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:52 PM

I recommend the following;

Anti Virus: AVG Anti Virus Free Edition
Anti-Spyware: Spyware Terminator, SpywareBlaster and Ad-Aware 2007
Anti-Rootkit: AVG Anti-Rootkit Free
Firewall: COMODO Firewall PRO

I use these security programs and I can tell you that out of all the security programs I have tested and used, this works great and does not take up much system resources. Of course, no protection is foolproof, just keep that in mind. :thumbsup:

Regards,
David.

Edited by david28, 29 February 2008 - 12:01 AM.

#11 Guest_mattbronson_*

Guest_mattbronson_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

Wow, does seem to be a lot out there and forgive the delay in actually getting back to you with my thanks. The initial reason for only wanting the AV rather than a complete security suite of products was that an IT engineer who installed Linksys network hub and wireless access point said that there is an in built firewall in (I can't remember which one he said) the router, hub or wireless access point. Is that right? Or do I still need to install a firewall on my 3 machines on the network?

So far, I've gone with AVG free edition Anti Virus, AVG Anti Spyware and Ad-aware.

They are doing the job just fine although unfortunately I (rather stupidly) clicked on an MSN message from one of my contacts which contained a link to a program saying run or save. Yup stupid me clicks on the run button (being half asleep at the time is the only excuse that comes close for my stupidity!) Now I'm blessed with the company of a familiar old enemy (or at least a varient) called Vundo. I'm going to try the previous removal advice first of all but I may be back to ask for help (unless I just give up and buy a Virus Proof Mac... or so I'm told)!!!!!

Thanks again guys for all your advice.

Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users