Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast! Or Avg

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Avast! Home Edition or AVG (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Avast! Home Edition or AVG

1. Avast! Hoem Edition (9 votes [52.94%])

Percentage of vote: 52.94%

2. AVG (8 votes [47.06%])

Percentage of vote: 47.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:15 AM

Hi everyone,

I am currently using AVG 7.5 Professional Edition and I am considering using Avast! Home Edition. I would liek to know which one is better performance wise, memory usage and most importantly, ability to find and remove viruses.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Pivopija_*

Guest_Pivopija_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:57 PM

AVG is faster, larger firm with more employed people, superior in discovery new specimens, better immune mechanism.

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:51 AM

Yeah, I don't like the GUI of Avast! Plus, after some reserach, AVG is better.

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:37 AM

Avira Antivir Personal Edition Classic is better than them both in my opinion and I have used AVG and Avast. My system is AMD Athlon XP 2400+ and I use Comodo Firewall Pro version 3. With AVG I had problems with the email checker and task bar icon greying out at times. Avast I found used too much resources and took around 1.5hrs to scan my PC. Since shifting to Avira 6mths ago I have had no problems whatsoever and it scans my PC in 37mins.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:19 AM

After trying Avira, Avast, and AVG I went with AVG and have had no issues with it.
Avira and Avast were, at least to me, not user friendly.

#6 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:22 AM

I don't like AVG anti virus. So I voted avast!

First, what I didn't like about AVG is that it didn't make the VB100- that doesn't matter to many people, especially if they're getting it free. But since avast! made the VB100 I went with that.

I also found AVG is very obnoxious when it updates. Avast does it quietly and you get a little pop up in the right bottom corner of your screen when its done.

I thought AVG was too user friendly. I like something that I can really configure and make the most out of (not saying that can't be done with AVG but I certainly couldn't)

Avast is quiet nice looking. The layout and design are quiet nice. And you can download and make skins to customize it (I have a Spiderman one :flowers: )

I'm a happy and proud avast user :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:10 AM

I reckon the GUI of Avast! looks so tacky :thumbsup:

#8 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:17 AM

I've tried Avast, and I can't stand it. It didn't catch something that AVG did, but in the end I kept neither of them. I should be able to avoid getting viruses anyways. I just stick with Spybot Search and Destroy, and Ad-Aware free, but if i had to choose, as I should here, I would go with AVG.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#9 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:42 AM

I reckon the GUI of Avast! looks so tacky :trumpet:

:thumbsup: each to their own I suppose.
But still. I think AVG looks unbelievably tacky :flowers:

#10 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:48 AM

Ok lets not start a war over the tackiness :thumbsup:

Vaerli, just some advice, it is very important that you have an anti-viral program to protect you from viruses. I recommend that you do install AVG. As much as you may think you can keep safe from viruses, you should always have an anti-viral program running :flowers: .

#11 JPeterman

JPeterman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:26 AM

Vaerli, you would be smart to heed david28s advice, Spybot, and adaware are not avti-virus programs, but are anti-spyware programs. You "need" an anti-virus program of some type on your machine.

#12 Sarah8503

Sarah8503

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:39 AM

I don't like AVG anti virus. So I voted avast!

First, what I didn't like about AVG is that it didn't make the VB100- that doesn't matter to many people, especially if they're getting it free. But since avast! made the VB100 I went with that.

I also found AVG is very obnoxious when it updates. Avast does it quietly and you get a little pop up in the right bottom corner of your screen when its done.

I thought AVG was too user friendly. I like something that I can really configure and make the most out of (not saying that can't be done with AVG but I certainly couldn't)

Avast is quiet nice looking. The layout and design are quiet nice. And you can download and make skins to customize it (I have a Spiderman one :flowers: )

I'm a happy and proud avast user :thumbsup:

Everything you said is the same reason I use Avast. I like it a lot better then AVG. I only use AVG Anti-Spyware

#13 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:14 AM

I think people are going to jump on the avast bandwagon when 4.8 is out of beta.
Its really going to give AVG a run for its money, or should I say free-ness :thumbsup:

#14 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

Hehe, well see about that won't we :thumbsup:

Well, it isn't really the GUI that counts as much. It is the way that they find malware, how efficient they are at doing their jobs.

#15 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:37 PM

Hehe, well see about that won't we :thumbsup:

Well, it isn't really the GUI that counts as much. It is the way that they find malware, how efficient they are at doing their jobs.

And Avast! does a fantastic job at detecting malware. And preventing :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users