Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Upgrade On Older Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Music man

Music man

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:57 PM

To anyone who can read this. I have a computer that was my aunt's. She has recently lost both legs to diabetes and I thought it would be great to upgrade her computer since she will now be on it.. The only thing this will be used for is PC gaming ( Mystic Forest Slots ) and maybe smaller programs like Zuma . Well sorry for rambling.. Now My Question....

The memory in this computer is by Simple Technology and on the label says 128MB SYNC.. then under that 100MHZ, CL3. There are three of these memory chips in the system.
When laid flat down there are 8 chips and they have 84 pins on both sides . The memory has two notches in the bottom pin area one about one inch from the left side then another in the center of the chop there are also notches in the middle at both ends.

The computer that it came from is an Ultra brand computer but this doesnt exsist anymore and I am going crazy trying to find help. Even C. City and B Buy told me when i showed them that if i loved my aunt i'd buy her a new computer... Well that cant happen....The games all work on the computer but just are really really slow so for what it is this computer will work great for her needs.... but just need advise on what kind of memory it needs to be replaced with.

If anyone can help.... well .... please please do...
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:10 PM

It sounds like there are no options for upgrading, I ordered a 256 meg stick of 133 cas 3 2 years ago and like to never found a computer to use it in

they quit making that memory a long time ago

your system probably can only use 3 128 meg sticks

the cpu will be real slow, windows 98 should run ok tho

Edited by DaChew, 26 February 2008 - 11:10 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:39 PM

I would also take the salespeople's advice, and just build/buy a new computer for 300$, if you don't need a new monitor or OS. You could easily build one thats hardly more expentsive and easier, because it doesn't look like you're going to be able to get RAM for that, even if you ransack ebay for a year or something. I might have a few chips that old, but I don't think they'd work, or even be compatible, they're so ancient.

Did you look up the memory manufacturer?

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

Tiger Direct (not my "favorite" on-line store but not too bad) usually has some clearance systems, for not a lot of money. I saw some HP D530s for less than $300 and others for less than $200.

If you really want to get the memory, go to http://www.crucial.com and either have them scan the computer or you can enter the manufacturer info. Either way, it should give you the info you need to make a decision.

Good luck.

DR

BTW: I had a computer that would not accept larger than 64MB of RAM in each slot.......

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:51 PM

You can also check out your local paper listings (if your in the states) for Ham Fest's (Ham Radio shows and sales) they Have just about anything electronic there including TONs of computer stuff.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users