Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing A Cd-drive For Repairs On A Compaq Presario 6000 Pc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zombie Superman

Zombie Superman

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

We have a serious Trojan, and I'm trying to do a destructive recovery to start things afresh.

A few years ago, I accidentally hit the open CD tray with my leg, and it hasn't closed ever since. We've made do by using the DVD drive and burning stuff on my laptop.

What I need to do is remove the CD drive so I can see if it's possible to get the tray to close again, so I can put the system recovery disc in.

Can someone offer assistance?

Many thanks, Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:56 PM

Are you saying that you have two cdrom drives in the computer? That is the way that I understand it. Might be wrong
If so, just use the second drive

Cd rom drives are cheap. About 20 bucks. Burners run about 40. Still not bad
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Zombie Superman

Zombie Superman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:11 PM

Eyesee,

Thanks for responding.

No, we have a CD drive and a DVD drive.

When I get to the boot screen, I don't get an option for the disc to be read from the DVD drive, only the CD drive.

So I need to figure out a way to get that drive to close.

Unless there's a way to get the DVD drive to appear on the drive list on the boot menu...

Chris

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:08 PM

Have you gone into bios and looked to see if the dvd drive is listed there?
If it is, make it the first boot device. Put the recovery disc in, reboot, and hope it works.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:18 PM

or if that doesn't work just disconnect the broken, remove it and set the dvd drive up the same as the removed drive

problem solved
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Zombie Superman

Zombie Superman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:51 AM

or if that doesn't work just disconnect the broken, remove it and set the dvd drive up the same as the removed drive

problem solved

I'd be glad to do that if I knew how to physically remove the CD drive.

That's what I'm having difficulty doing.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:57 AM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...4003&dlc=en

make sure the jumpers are set right
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 Smokeyhollow

Smokeyhollow

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

If I have read this right, you are having problems physically removing the CD rom. I have a Compaq Presario S6000NX. I'm sure you know about shutting off the machine & ETC, so I won't go in to that.
If you have the same machine or similar, remove the side cover. Look for plastic "snap" tabs along the edge of the front. Pressing on them untill they release. Be carefull when pressing on them as they will break. Remove the front cover. Unplug the cables to the DVD devices you want to remove. You will notice that there is a green plastic attachment on the side of the frame that holds the HD & DVD device. Lift the tab that holds the device just enough to release the screws and at the same time push the back of the device twards the front. Be carefull as it is friction slide & may pop out & drop out, damaging it. Through some reading, I have come to the conclusion that if you select "cable select" on the devices, the computer works faster in accessing data. Instalation is just the reverse. Don't forget to remove the screws from the old device & put them in the same place as the old one. If you only have one DVD or HD installed, if Compaq did their job, you will see 4 extra screws below the divice slot. As a side note, the HD is removed & installed the same way.
Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users