Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fallen angel

fallen angel

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:02 PM

i just got a computer about 2 weeks ago (its a couple years old, a hand me down, but still in good shape) and its been working fine untill today. when i turn it on it goes past the XP loading screen and then where the log in screen should be, there's a screen full of green dots/pixels. i can boot in all 3 safe modes (normal, networking, and config) and i can boot in VGA mode. but when i start normally or with last good settings, i get the problem that i just explained. please help me!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:19 AM

Can you give us some information on your laptop? What is the make and model?

If I understand correctly, everything starts ok in safe mode? I would try an updated video driver.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 SGC

SGC

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:21 AM

Look behind your pc, and check if your video card is integrated in your motherboard (the connection be near the mouse and keyboard connection).
If you have an other video card (one where the connection is lower and mostly horizontal) use that one.

(sorry for the bad english. I'am dutch)

#4 fallen angel

fallen angel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:03 PM

its not a laptop its a desktop, my brother built it so there's no real model to speak of. te card is a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT. i tied getting the latst video drivers but the problems persist

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:17 PM

I'd try reseating it (the card) and then installing the latest drivers for XP.

I'm having video issues of my own today :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 fallen angel

fallen angel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:08 PM

i may sound like a noob for asking this, but how exactly do i reset it?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:16 PM

You just take it out...count to 5 or whatever...put it back in properly :flowers:.

We're all noobs in one way or another...the important thing is whether we are willing to learn and thereby become "somewhat enlightened noobs" :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 fallen angel

fallen angel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

how can i tell which one is my video card?

nice line btw :thumbsup:

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:56 PM

Just follow the...connection from your monitor to the computer. The monitor plugs into the video card or the video chip (if its onboard).

To remove the video card, you will have to remove the case panel (the one on the right if you are looking from the back of the PC).

Once you locate the video card, remove that screw holding it in place...and gently just lift up (after disconnecting anything attached to the card).

Replace by doing the reverse.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users