Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Problems Setting Up Security System

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ndarwich

ndarwich

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:09 PM

Hello, I purchased a camera security system a while back. One of the reasons why I purchased that particular system is because it advertised an ability to have remote access, meaning that I could view what my cameras were seeing anywhere from around the world as long as I have an internet connection. Well, that sounds pretty cool however, I have not been able to set it up and I was hoping you guys could help out.

First, some information:
The security system is a Lorex L14Q 684C, I have a Westell Versalink Model 327W router, and I have DSL provided by Verizon

Okay, well after multiple calls I discovered that in order to set it up, I would have to use their program to get an IP address for the Camera system, then port forward ports 81 and 2000, and then call them. From there, they should be able to access my system using my Ip address (from www.whatsmyipaddress.com). Then, they would tell me how to acess it, I would set up an account and finally I should be able to view my system online.

Well, I haven't gotten past the port forwarding. I set up my IP address for my camera system (it was 192.168.1.49) then I went to www.portforward.com and followed their instructions for forwarding. I am pretty sure I forwarded port 81 and 2000. However, when I called them they said that ports weren't forwarded and to either check to see if the modem's firewall was blocking it or if Verizon blocked those ports. I checked both. I had firewall on the modem set to "none" and Verizon said that they only blocked port 80. So, my question basically boils down to: what do I need to do to set up this system?

If anyone has any experience with remote access, online security systems, port forwarding, anything at all, please comment. I also understand that some games required port forwarding so any advice would be helpful. Also, if you could explain in very simple terms what exactly is going on, that would be great too. Sorry for the long post, but it is kind of urgent as I am going on an international trip and need to see my business from where I will be at. All advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by ndarwich, 26 February 2008 - 02:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ndarwich

ndarwich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:50 PM

Actually, I just realized that I never made the IP address of the security system static. Apparently, that needs to be done before I can port forward. Is this true?

Also, I found out that if I made an IP address static, it would conflict with the Credit Card system. How can I force the IP address of the security system to be an IP address far away from the IP address of the Credit Card system?

#3 yr-less

yr-less

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:34 AM

Since no one else jumped on this i'll give it a try.

Yes, you need to set up the IP address as static in the camera. The forward ports 81 and 2000 to that address. I am not familiar with you model but I have set IP cameras before. usually this is all there is to it.

IME verizon could be blocking those ports. I used to have bellsouth and had an issue setting up a SFTP, turns out they had the port that I needed blocked even tho they said they didn't. it depends on who you talk to. a lot of customer service people will tell you that just to get you off the phone.

hope that helps.
:thumbsup:

#4 yr-less

yr-less

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

Actually, I just realized that I never made the IP address of the security system static. Apparently, that needs to be done before I can port forward. Is this true?

Also, I found out that if I made an IP address static, it would conflict with the Credit Card system. How can I force the IP address of the security system to be an IP address far away from the IP address of the Credit Card system?

When you set the IP as static, you can set it to whatever you want. ex: if your cc system is 192.168.5.100, you can set the camera to 192.168.5.101.
They don't have to be far away from each other, just different.

(sorry to post again, i just noticed you had another question)

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users