Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grandma New To Unfixable Ie Pop-up!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 noeth2

noeth2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:47 PM

Greetings E1,
As my 'title' shows, I am older rather than younger, a grandma and a used to be computer geek...of course that was when life was simple and we could still get back to MS-DOS...Anyone remember DOS????? :flowers: ANYHOW,
I have been fighting pop-ups, worms, Trojans from somewhere besides Athens, and more, for the last 2 months, from a download site, that was who knows where.

I ran across "bleeping..." in my perusal of the web trying to find a fix for this buggy laptop, so I decided to lurk awhile and then of course, curiosity prevailed and I have joined. :thumbsup:

So...I will post my problems elsewhere as the rules state, but wanted to says hello and thanks for having such a great forum.
BTW, I have 11 computers of various vintages, from win 95 to a Vista one coming shortly. I also have a PowerPC I have never used, as I am Apple challenged. The reason for all of these toys, including my new XFX nForce 680i LT with a nVidia 8800 GT OC onboard is....GAMES, of Course!! have collected for over 25 years...that would be when the TI TRS came out, and the text based games in DOS only, to, of course, Crysis, Call of Duty, etc., now. These games all belong to me, in 20+ CD binders, with cluebooks, cheats, walk-thrus and more, stored in various boxes and/or hard drives.
I am a collector, not a player, sadly, but now that I am retired, I would like to change all of that and even try my hand at some online gaming, as well as finding other folks with the same likes, etc.
BUT...I need to get the creatures OFF my 'puters first...so I hope to see some of you all in the needed forums soon and thanks again for being here!
Noeth2 (after my grandkids

Edited by noeth2, 26 February 2008 - 01:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:45 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer noeth2,good to have ya. We have some here who remeber punchcards..
Post that question in the Am I Infected forum.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:53 PM

Hello and :flowers: to BC forums! :thumbsup:
Hope you can find all the help you need!
Enjoy yourself,
Tomo

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#4 noeth2

noeth2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:40 PM

Thanks folks for the welcome and the advice...will head over there shortly....
:thumbsup: PUNCH CARDS, eh? That Was a while ago...back when we only had 1 TV and 1 dial-up phone!

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:55 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer. My husband majored in computers when he was in college-back in the days of punch cards. And our first computer was a TS 80. Hi-tech stuff way back then.

Read the information

HERE:Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Prior to posting a HJT log, we ask that you please read and
follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled
Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.
Following the steps in this Guide will allow the HJT Team
to quickly help you with specific fixes for what may
remain on your system.

Please complete all the steps in the Guide.
If you have performed some of them already, then
just continue with the next. If you can't perform a step,
then skip it and continue with the next. The last step will
include downloading and using the most current version of
HijackThis if the first line of your log does not appear as follows:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Please note that it is important that HijackThis be run and a log created while in normal mode. If you run it and create your log while in safe mode, you will be asked to redo it again properly. When you have completed those steps, start a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum as directed in the Guide to post a new log.

The log should be posted in

HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Please DO NOT post your log to this topic, or post a log in the wrong forum.

Once that is done, a Member of the HJT Team will analyze your log and assist you with step by step instructions to clean your computer or otherwise advise what needs to be done.

Please be patient while you wait for a reply, the malware removal team is very busy and they will get to your log as soon as possible.

Thanks for your cooperation and good luck.
The BC Staff

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 February 2008 - 10:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users