Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"cannot Mount Volume": Ubuntu 7.10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ken J

Ken J

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

I'm running Ubuntu 7.10, Gutsy Gibbon. Whenever I try to plug in or turn on an external storage device, I get the message, "Cannot Mount Volume." I get this message with every single usb-connected drive I have--FAT32, flash, the card readers on my printer--same thing on every one.

The weird thing (well, one weird thing) is that this only occurs with kernel 2.6.20-16. In kernel 2.6.22-14, I haven't had that problem. (But I've had other problems with that kernel, like freezing up or not starting at all, so I've been bypassing that kernel altogether.)

I've tried all the fixes listed in "The Official Ubuntu Book" for mounting a volume, and none of them did a thing.

Please help--this is quite frustrating, and the combination of both these problems has rendered my Ubuntu all but useless. Sadly, the Ubuntu forums have been useless so far as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wenasoga

wenasoga

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:37 PM

I'm guessing that you have checked all your permissions? How long ago did you install 7.10? I had a "buggy" install and ended up having to re-install. All is well now. Back up all you files first if you decide to try this.

#3 Ken J

Ken J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:34 AM

What's the best way to reinstall?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users