Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Bus Speed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:12 PM

I've never run across this before, but nowadays there are many options for bus speeds and not all procs and mobo's have the same options. The question is, what if you put a 1333 Core Duo in a mobo that is set up for 1066/800/533 MHz? Would it run the same, just limited to 1024? Or would it not run at all?

Same question with memory, if the mobo support up to 667 MHz and you put 6400 800 MHz memory, will the extra speed be wasted or will the memory not work at all?

Thanks...
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:31 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but I think if the cpu is 1333mhz and the max that motherboard supports is 1066, then either the motherboard had to overclock or the cpu has to underclock. They must run at the same speed. I believe this goes for memory to, it will either overclock the board or the ram will underclock. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge about this can help you!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

most good motherboards list the cpu's supported and the bios version needed

most ram will clock down, the problem is better faster ram can need a higher voltage than what the motherboard supports or allows

here again you have tthe problem of does the bios support that ram, see it right? even if it won't run it at faster speed

the only sure part here is death and taxes, the rest is plug and pray
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users