Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Posting Url's In Chat Rooms.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 j_man

j_man

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:37 AM

Hi, I have a question regarding posting website url's onto a chatroom p.m. What is the best way to do it, are there any securuty issues, i.e by sending a website url via p.m could anybody hack my computer personal details, and receiving url's on my p.m, is it possible to download anything nasty like viruses, or malware. Thanks for any help you can offer with this. j_man

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:46 AM

It is almost impossible that you could get infected by sending a URL, but you certainly should be extremely wary of clicking on any URL in chat or IM if it is out of context with the discussion at the time (the same can be said, more directly, for any attachments); it is not the URL that presents a danger, but the page/site to which it directs you.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 j_man

j_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:58 AM

Thank you John for your reply. I would like to be able to send pictures and url's via p.m's. I am a complete beginner at this computing game and would appreciate any advice you could give on how to achieve this transfer. Would you recommend any software or is it easier than this. Thanks, j_man.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:17 AM

Most IMs include photo sharing as a standard feature while you're chatting. Look for a button on the interface. I have used Yahoo & MSN and both have that. You send the photo. The other person has to accept it and then can view it. And you can copy & paste a url into your chat box.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:45 PM

In a chat room, all you can do is give the other person a URL. Simply copy the url, then paste it into the message box. It will be up to the person receiving the link to open it or not.
You really can't send photos via a chat room message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users