Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Horace05

Horace05

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:49 AM

I downloaded Bios for my motherboard and my screen went black? I hear computer running but no video? Any advice to fix my problem?

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 26 February 2008 - 10:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:59 AM

The first thing to try is clearing the CMOS memory, either by means of a jumper located on the motherboard, or by removing the CMOS backup battery for a while. Post back if you need more information on the procedure.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:07 PM

What motherboard or system (if Dell, Gateway, etc.)?

Why did you do BIOS update? Did you follow all instructions for updating BIOS?

Louis

#4 Horace05

Horace05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:48 PM

Hello Platypus Yes i did remove a round battery on the motherboard for about 15 minutes but still no display. I would like to try the jumper thing but do not understand how to do this ,Yes I would like information on this procedure.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,197 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:08 AM

Most, but not all, boards have a facility to clear the CMOS memory. Usually it's a set of 3 pins with a jumper, it may be labelled something like CMOS_CLR, and with the power to the system off, the jumper is moved from its current position to the adjacent pair of pins for 5 seconds or so, then returned to the original position. (ie, if normal position is across pins 1 & 2, the clear setting is across pins 2 & 3). Some more recent boards have a small pushbutton mounted near the battery. But for a few boards the only way is to remove the battery for a period, occasionally this needs to be up to a period of hours.

The purpose for clearing the CMOS memory is in case either the memory contents has become corrupted during the flash process, or changed features of the updated BIOS requires more or different data and the old CMOS data is no longer correct.

If you respond to hamluis' request for system or motherboard model information, we can be more specific. Also, if clearing the CMOS has no effect, it will also help to know things like the exact flashing procedure you followed, the source and filename of the BIOS update if you updated manually so we can be sure if the correct update was used.

Also, when you say you hear the computer running, do you just hear fan and drive running noise, or do you hear a startup beep, see drive access light flashing, hear Windows startup sound? These will indicate different fault conditions, for example, if you hear the BIOS beep but get no display, maybe onboard video has become enabled and is clashing with a video card, it may be necessary to remove the video card, boot up using the onboard video, turn it off again in the BIOS setup, then shut down and refit the video card.

Edited by Platypus, 27 February 2008 - 07:28 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:59 AM

Did you remove the power cable when you removed the little round battery? (and if it's a laptop, you'll have to remove the big laptop battery also)
Then leave it for about 30 minutes - that'll clear the BIOS out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Horace05

Horace05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:52 AM

Hello Platypus and usasma Yes I did remove the battery for 2 hours with it unpluged and i think I found that jumped and I did whiched it around for about 5 sec. I guess this is a old computer? It says on the front vpr Matrix motherboard says ( Intel Desktop Board D845BG ) and it does not have no on board video. I did put another video card in it that i know that works and still nothing. When I plug in the tower it starts up by it self and yes the CD drives light up and the hard drive is running also. The monitor looks like it is going to come on then it goes to sleep when I turn off monitor and turn back on it does the same thing goes to sleep ?

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,197 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:33 AM

Which VPR Matrix model do you have? How did you source the BIOS update, from Intel? Was it the one here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mp;submit=Go%21

If so this may be the correct update, but often manufacturers like VPR use a custom BIOS version to match their own customization of a board. Then using a standard BIOS update from the board manufacturer can cause failure to boot. So we still need to know more information about just what you did. Do you hear the single BIOS beep, Windows startup sound?

Edited by Platypus, 29 February 2008 - 05:36 AM.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:34 PM

If the BIOS flash went bad, clearing the CMOS is not going to help
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users