Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg 7.5 Firewall Will Not Start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WILDRTHANEVR

WILDRTHANEVR

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:30 PM

After my provider fixed my broadband connection, my AVG firewall was stopped and will not re activate... gives message in exception box..."something bad happened in this application.
Error diagnostic file saved to'C:\Documents and Settings\JACK\Application Data\AVG7\avgcc.err'
Then when you attempt to restart it...it says An error occured while starting AVG firewall. This operation returned because the timeout period expired (1460) :thumbsup:

Edited by WILDRTHANEVR, 25 February 2008 - 11:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,696 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:38 AM

Hello WILDRTHANEVR and welcome to BC :flowers:

I see you have an HJT log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/133488/avg-firewall-is-disabled-unwanted-tool-processor-in-win32/ Because you have this log posted, please DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: deleting files, editing the registry, using special fix tools, installing or uninstalling software etc. as this will make it more difficult for the HJT team to help you.

Please be patient as the HJT team is very busy. DO NOT bump your log as the team may think that someone is already helping you. If you have not had a response in five days, add a response to the five days no response topic and paste in the link to your thread.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 WILDRTHANEVR

WILDRTHANEVR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

I recieved this answer from the HJT team member OLD TIMER:

Hello WILDRTHANEVR and welcome to the BC HijackThis forum. I don't see any signs of viruses or malware in the log. It is clean.

Here's a few suggestions:
both TeaTimer and SpywareGuard prevent registry changes so doing things like changing IE home pages will not be allowed with either running. It's not a good idea to run both simultaneously so decide which one you want to keep and uninstall the other. With either one, If you want to make any system changes, disable the remaining one until after the changes are made.
ZoneAlarm is already running so attempting to run AVG's firewall will not be possible. If you want to use AVG's firewall then uninstall ZoneAlarm.
Keep in mind: one anti-virus, one firewall, one registry blocking app.
Cheers.

OT

--------------------

WILDRTHANEVR
Thank You, Old timer for your help, but I installed the Zone alarm firewall AFTER the AVG went haywire and was disabled. Seems that something has to be preventing it from working, other than the zone alarm firewall because I have removed that and the AVG(which I paid for) still starts as usual on start up. then shuts down after a few minutes and will not re-engage????? And what is this that the panda scan found?.........
Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Processor C:\WINDOWS\system32\Process.exe

I did remove the spywareguard :thumbsup:

Edited by WILDRTHANEVR, 08 March 2008 - 04:23 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:28 PM

I would still say you need to uninstall then reinstall AVG.
A quirky ib=nstall can have these problems.

Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Processor C:\WINDOWS\system32\Process.exe

This procees is left from using certaian malware removal tools,ie SmitfraudFix, it is not a problem.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users