Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Bar Disappeared

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Niko24130

Niko24130

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:24 PM

My task bar has disappeared. I have downloaded the current spybot and adware and run them and nothing has happened. I also have restarted my computer with the protection mode thing and it still didn't appear. Other users on the computer have the same problem also. I'm not sure what else to do. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:02 AM

Hi give this a try

type Ctrl-ESC, Alt-Space, S, and then use the Up Arrow to resize the taskbar.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Niko24130

Niko24130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:20 PM

Hi give this a try

type Ctrl-ESC, Alt-Space, S, and then use the Up Arrow to resize the taskbar.

micro

hey that didn't work but thanks for trying. I can open files and programs through the task manager but thats it. If anyone else has some ideas let me know. I've tried restarting the computer and signing on under different names but no luck. Also signing on in safe mode didn't bring the task bar up either.

#4 Da.One

Da.One

• Banned
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:07 PM

Go to task manager, terminate the process "explorer.exe". Then run the process "explorer.exe" again. Post back on what happens.

#5 Niko24130

Niko24130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:52 PM

ok. i looked for the explorer.exe thing and it wasn't there. so i started a new task in task manager as explorer.exe and the task bar at the bottom would pop up for a brief second then disappear again.

Edited by Niko24130, 26 February 2008 - 08:53 PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

When you move your cursor to the area where the task bar should be, does the task bar pop up? I'm wondering if it somehow got set to auto hide. It most likely isn't that, because you mention this happens for other users also and it would be strange if all got set to auto hide. But right now, it's the only thing I can think of.

You have no taskbar, therefore can't click on it to get to the properties. There is another way to check.

Open up task manager.
Click on File/New Task (run).
Type in Control Panel then click OK.

The control panel should open.
Taskbar and Start Menu, taskbar tab.
Auto hide is on that panel.

Edit to add: Have you tried a system restore back to a time before this issue began? You probably don't have a start menu, so you can't access system restore that way. Again, there is an alternative way to get to it.

Open up task manager.
Click on File/New Task (run).
Type in restore then click OK.

You should see an icon called rstrui System Restore Application.
Click on the icon, the system restore dialog will open.
Choose restore my computer to an earlier time, then choose your restore point.
Let it do it's thing, the computer will reboot.
And hopefully when you connect to your desktop, the taskbar will be there.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 February 2008 - 09:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users