Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet Or Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 geotan

geotan

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:56 PM

Hello again to you Gurus.
I have two machines networked. The first is running Vista Home and is used mainly for the Internet. The other machine is running Windows XP with SP2 and IE6. This machine has not been connected to the Internet for some months. When I did come to connect I got the message "Internet Explorer cannot display this page". When I try connecting to Outlook Express I get the message "Some errors occured...........". One other thing, my home page keeps going to go.microsoft.com/fwink/. If I change it under options it still shows the same home page and has altered itself under options as well.
I have run AVG, SuperAntiSpyware,CC Cleaner and AdAware. Nothing was found.
One other thing. The day that I tried to connect to the Internet I found that System Restore could not go back before that days date.
All help and suggestions appreciated as usual.
GEORGE.

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum, and added a topic descriptor. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:41 PM

Do you recall if you installed any Updates when you machine was last able to connect to the Internet?

When Internet Explorer is attempting to bypass your Home Page and redirect to the go.microsoft.com/fwlink/ website, this is to configure settings in Internet Explorer after updates have been applied. Its a one time setup which will revert back to your normal Home Page upon configuring the settings available.

Its possible that the last set of updates you attempted to install failed during installation, became corrupt, or altogether corrupted your network connections.

You can check for the most recent applied updates in the Control Panel >> Add or Remove Programs applet. You will want to check the box to Show Updates. Check for updates applied around the same date as when your network connectivity began showing problems. If you see updates which are applicable to network or Internet Explorer, you may want to uninstall those updates and test your connectivity. Remember to restart your machine after uninstalling anything to ensure that the changes are completed.

Check it out and post back for further information.

You can also refer to the following posts on troubleshooting network connectivity issues:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/133791/ip-address-conflict/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/133029/ip-address-problem/
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#3 geotan

geotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:18 PM

CYB3R,
I found the answer. Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Reset. Back to normal now.
Thanks,
GEORGE.

#4 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

Good catch! Glad to hear i was able to point you in the right direction.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users