Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Flex -win. Xp -will Not Start Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Testerbo1990

Testerbo1990

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

I have a Gateway Flex Desktop PC, and over a period of a year or so, I have been having more and more problems getting it to start up. When I turn it on, the power button lights up, but instead of the normal green, it displays a green and a red light combined. The only way to get it to finally boot up is to flick the surge protector switch on and off until the system seems to 'catch' and finally boot up as normal. I feel this may have something to do with the BIOS instructions, or maybe a weak lithium battery on the system board. I am sure that flickering the power is aweful for the system, but it has gotten to the point that the system will not boot up if I dont do that. Is this a common problem with this particular machine? Once it boots up, it runs fine, so I just try to avoid shutting it down, but that is not always an option. Hope somebody out there can help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:04 PM

Do you have a model number? I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have a sticking/faulty power button. To take that out of the troubleshooting equation you need to take the side off the computer (change the battery while you're at it). Trace the wires from the power button to the motherboard, and remove the 2 wires. Using a flat-tipped screwdriver, quickly touch the 2 pins then remove the screwdriver. If it remains running, then you know it's the switch
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Testerbo1990

Testerbo1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:13 PM

After contacting gateway's tech support, I discovered that the battery is most likely not the problem, as the system will alert you when the battery is low. I was also pointed towards the motherboard or power supply as being the primary cause. Seems like a new computer may be my best solution.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users