Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Insufficient Privileges To Modify File?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lilac

lilac

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:18 PM

Hello :thumbsup:

Why am I getting error messages saying

The installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file

when installing/uninstalling software even though I am logged in as the administrator?

Whilst updating software (AVG Free 7.5 update) I have the error message

Installation failed. Permission denied

When trying to uninstall I also get the error message

Unable to create a temporary file. Setup aborted. Error 5: Access is denied.

This has only recently started to happen, I have never had a problem with this before.
I am working with Windows XP Professional SP2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:40 PM

Hi lilac,

I use XP Home and I don't know if its the same as PRO. Are you the only user account on that machine? Have you taken a look a look at >control panel>user accounts to make sure that the account that you're using is listed as Administrative?

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:35 PM

http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=3367

Louis

#4 lilac

lilac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:25 AM

Hello Wendy and Louis.

Yes I am the only user, and the administrator. There are no more user accounts.

I think this problem has only come about since I had a my computer looked at because of my previous problem with the external hard drive, which turned out to be a fault on the hard drive.

Perhaps something I just can't put my finger on has been 'tweaked' whilst trying to solve that one!

I have asked the person who sorted out my other problem, and he says he can't think why this is happening.

lilac :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:56 PM

Take a look at your permissions.

I have XP Home and I have added the Security Tab to it. On this tab, I can see the permissions for each file/folder. One of the entities reflected is System, one is Administrator, one is Owner, etc.

According to the link I previously provided, something is askew with your System permissions.

I cannot tell you how to modify/correct that in Pro, since I don't have it.

Louis

#6 lilac

lilac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

Thank you Louis, yes I think you are right about something being askew with the permissions. I have looked at the link, and I will try to work something out from your advice.

I am slow, but I will get back when I have sorted out what is what!

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:52 PM

You can horse around with the permissions, but unless you know what has been changed you'll be shooting in the dark.

Could this be related to the changing of your hard drives? If this involved a part of the OS, some permissions may have been copied over that belonged to the old hard drive - and that won't work on the new hard drive.

Regardless, the easiest way to reset the permissions is a repair install of Windows: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm BUT, if you have IE7 installed, read this first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

If you're feeling adventurous, this may help to reset the registry permissions globally: http://winonline.blogspot.com/2005/11/rese...issions-to.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 lilac

lilac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:06 AM

Thank you John, I will give it a try. I appreciate your help.

#9 lilac

lilac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

:thumbsup: Ok guys, panic over, problems sorted.

I had recently installed a newer version of the Comodo Personal Firewall...and I had a few problems with the configuration set up. Well...I obviously hadn't done it right!
It took me a long time to realise what it was, but I have actually uninstalled the newer version, and gone back to the version I can understand a bit better.

Thank you to all the people who have offered a helping hand...I have no doubt I will be back for more tips in the future!

lilac :flowers:

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:38 PM

Congrats on fixing the problem and thank you for posting back with your solution
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 lilac

lilac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:46 AM

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users